11

Serena
I woke up feeling refreshed and definitely not dead. I blinked a few times as I stared up at the ceiling trying to replay what I might've done to make myself feel better.

I didn't get up and go shopping, I don't remember calling my dad, and I-

"Good morning." I froze in place, my eyes stuck with a shocked expression.

Did I get kidnapped? This looks like my ceiling...who would kidnap a sick person?

"I'm sorry if I scared you."

I groaned slightly as I realized who it was. I turned my head slowly to face him, his hair falling over his face in a messy way I'd never seen before.

His sad eyes were prominent with a softer look. But the worst part? His black, perfectly fitted T-shirt with roughly cut-off sides as if he did it himself.

He cleared his throat, his tongue smoothly gliding across his bottom lip as he stepped backward slowly.

"...I'll give you a minute, then I'll explain." He punched his hand gently and shot me a shy smile before turning and leaving.

I stared at the doorway for a few seconds trying to process what just happened.

I sat up slowly, sliding my body up against my headboard. Strands of curly and frizzy hair fell from whatever was holding it together on the top of my head.

I reached up and touched my rats' nest, confirming that I definitely embarrassed myself.

After I brushed my teeth and slowly got myself to look presentable, I decided to face Grayson despite my deep embarrassment.

I walked sluggishly down the hallway and toward the kitchen to be greeted by a tall man facing away from me. His hip rested on the counter as his legs crossed at his ankles. He was holding something in both of his hands and was completely lost in whatever it was.

"Grayson?" I said softly, trying not to startle him.

I approached slowly from behind him, peering over his large arm at what he was doing. "What are you doing?" I glanced up at him, his eyes wide as if I scared him.

He cleared his throat and nervously scrambled to put down the items revealed to be a coffee mug and a word cross.

"H-hi. Good morning." He stuttered nervously.

I giggled softly at his nervousness, whatever anxiety I had melting away. I stood in front of him, my eyes softening as I stared up at him.

"Good morning, Grayson." I smiled gently up at him, his cheeks blushing a soft pink at my words.

I turned and walked towards the living room, setting one foot up on the couch as I stared across the room at him.

"How'd you get here?"

He wiped his hand down his face as he prepared to explain his presence in my home.

"I...went to the bar and you weren't there. So I came back the next day because you usually are there..." he paused and looked up at me, a sigh escaping his lips. "I showed up because I was just making sure you were ok and you weren't so I'm glad I did." He slightly pushed himself off of the counter, standing up straight and looking directly at me. "Now that you're ok, I'll leave." He walked around my apartment collecting his belongings.

I watched, a thank you sitting in my throat, unsure of when to let it out.

Grayson stood next to the door, taking one last glance as if he was making sure he wasn't forgetting anything.

"Oh, there's food. In your fridge. Most of it is good for immune boosting so you'll feel better after eating-"

"Grayson," I interrupted. His head turned to face me, his hand on the knob ready to leave.

Why was it so hard to say it? He was going to leave anyways. "Thank you."

His face softened as he nodded. "No problem."

He opened the door and I followed after him, standing behind him. "You're... welcome back anytime," I murmured.

He nodded at me with a small smile before walking off. I watched as he disappeared towards the parking lot.

"Who's that?" I jumped slightly as I looked down the hallway at my neighbor, Christy.

"...a friend."

She hummed as she struggled to lock her door, full paper bags and a mug shoved under her arms.

"He's a nice-looking friend." She smiled, her blonde waves blowing in her face. "Hey, If some dude comes by, just tell him I moved yeah?"

I nodded, a chuckle escaping my throat.

She giggled and smiled as she walked off towards the parking lot. "See ya later Serena."

"Bye Christy."

...

"Serena Papillo. Why weren't you here yesterday?" I glanced up at the annoying blonde man who loved to make my day horrible.

"I was sick, sir. I let your mother know that."

He scoffed "You could've informed me. I'm your boss too ya know?" I paused for a moment, before turning to look up at him.

"Respectfully sir, you're not my boss. I have never had to contact you for anything involving my schedule unless I couldn't get ahold of your mother who is my boss. Now please, let me finish setting up."

He clicked his teeth before stomping off towards the back. An "ungrateful bitch." Harshly spoke before exiting.

One day, I'm going to knock him in his ass.

"Not if you wanna keep paying your bills hun." My hand slammed over my mouth as my coworker giggled past me.

This is a crazy curse.

***

If you enjoy 'Burn for you' please remember to vote and to check out my other book 'smile'! Thank you!