Chapter 2

August 30, 2018
Friends- BTS

The next time we saw each other was at another game. This time we were playing against Roseville High School. Miller wasn't yelling or angry at any of the players. You were playing better this time. You got the brain cells working together and functioning properly. You didn't have any trouble launching the football to the other players. You, Jason, Andre, and Martin all were on a roll with the ball whenever Clayton played offense. While the team played defense, you were busy watching replays of the previous plays that were made. We didn't get to interact much during the first half of the game. Despite that, you decided it was a good time to stop watching replays and a better time to say hi to Bia, Kaia, and me during Halftime. I was in the middle of devouring a slice of pizza and you just popped up out of nowhere. 

"Hey there short stuff!" you shout as you do a little run over to me.

"Uhm. Hi," I mumbled as I chewed on the pizza. 

"Thanks for the bright idea. You've set the season for success so far. After all, the first game always sets the season," you awkwardly laughed.

I simply nodded as I continued to eat my pizza. Kaia laughed at me as she talked to her boyfriend. We moved past the awkward thank-yous and started small talk. The team begins to warm up for the second half of the game. However, we continued to talk as I munched on my pizza. I would've been so embarrassed and uncomfortable to be eating in front of anyone else. The fact that it was a greasy pizza says a lot about our friendship.  

Soon enough, the game ends with another win for us. This time, no angry, ranting Coach made an appearance and no ball was getting thrown at you–all thanks to the 42-0 win. Kaia, Bia, and I didn't bolt to the car and leave. Instead, we stayed back and took pictures with our friends on the field. I almost got lost in the crowd, pushing to find where Kaia and Bia ran off to. I eventually find them taking pictures with the team. Suddenly, I spot you in the back instead of being in front with the other captains. I laughed as you gave the camera an awkward smile. 

After getting the pictures they wanted, Bia and Kaia dragged me around to random spots on the field to take group pictures. We took hundreds, laughing at the bad ones as Courtney approached.  

"Hey, you know Theo has been looking for you. You shouldn't leave the quarterback hanging like that," he laughed.

"Him being the quarterback doesn't make him special," I jokingly scoffed back. 

"Where is he anyways?" I asked as Courtney pointed in your direction. 

You were standing with your family and I didn't want to interrupt. However, I then decided to drag Kaia and Bia to where you were. As we stood a few feet away from you, we just kept taking pictures and thinking of whether or not we should go to Bubba's afterward.

"Hey," you say as you do that little run again.

"Hi Mr. Quarterback. Congrats on the dub." I greeted as you laughed at the new nickname. 

We talked a bit as Bia and Kaia continued to look through the pictures. We exchanged Snapchats and numbers as Coach yells for you to get into the locker room.

"Go before Coach decides it's a bad idea to give me field access during the games" I laughed.

"When did he give you access? How did you even–"

"Just Go!" I laughed, pushing you towards the locker room.
I waved bye and I was on my merry way to Bubbas with Bia and Kaia.

"You know, you should've taken a picture with him," Kaia says as we sit down at our table.

"Yeah! You guys looked so cute as y'all were talking about the game," Bia agreed.

"Maybe next time," I chuckled.

The night ended with laughter and jokes. New Instagram posts were made and new numbers were added to my phone.