Chapter 46

June 25, 2019

They don't know about us- One Direction

I was at dinner with my cousins to celebrate Lias' birthday. It was filled with laughs and birthday wishes for her.

"So... wanna tell us about that boy that you were supposed to bring to my birthday dinner?" she asked as the other cousins quiet down and listened.

"Or is he fake?" she jabbed as she laughed with the others.

There wasn't anything fake about your existence in my life, but her comment hurts. You were going to be the very first boy, other than the first grade boyfriend I had that used to live next door to me, that I'd introduce to family and all she could do was make fun of the fact that you probably didn't exist because she never met you. The others also laughed at her joke as I just sat there silently.

"Oh yeah, about that. He said happy birthday by the way, but he couldn't make it since he was helping with the varsity football team tryouts." I asserted as they slowly stopped laughing.

"That sounds so fake." one of them commented, causing them all to laugh again.

"His name is Theo Schuster. Y'all can look him up."

That's exactly what they did. Some of their expressions dropped at the fact that you existed, while others still had an unconvinced look.

"Just because he exists doesn't mean he knows you." Lia snickered.

I'm pretty sure there was nothing left for me to do to convince them, but I didn't need to. My phone rang as I was going to say something back. I just rolled my eyes at her comment and picked up the phone.

"Hey..." I greeted before looking at the caller ID.

"Hi Athena!"

I smiled as soon as I heard Andrews' voice through the phone. The others looked at me with curiosity when I smiled.

"Hi Andrew. What's up?"

"No clue. Theo called you but then got up to get something for dad, so here I am." he replied nonchalantly. Not soon after, I could hear you and him murmur something before he said bye.

"Hey. How's the birthday dinner?" you greeted.

"It's... It's going. I'm still at dinner."

"Oh. I didn't mean to interrupt–"

"Wanna say happy birthday to her? I'm putting you on speaker." I interjected as I took the phone away from my ear and put you on speaker, placing you on the table.

"Uh... Hi."

"Hi. Is this Theo?" Lia questioned you.

"Yup. The one and only, I hope."

"Oh my god. Put him on FaceTime. She could be lying still." one of them jeered as others quietly nodded.

Before I could ask you, you were already calling on FaceTime. Lia pressed the answer button as the others moved their seat closer to hers to see if you're actually real and I propped the phone up to face them with a cup, only to be greeted by your ceiling. I quietly chuckled as they made a disappointed face and mumbled quietly to each other. I honestly felt targeted. I didn't even do anything bad to them, but whatever it be like that sometimes.

"Sorry about that. Oh. Hi everyone." you greeted again at sudden new faces on the screen.

"You're real. Oh my god." one of them acknowledged.

You gave them a confused look through the phone as they, once again, rambled amongst themselves.

"Anyways, happy birthday to whoever it is," you wished.

"I'm gonna stop disrupting now. Bye."

You ended the call right after as they looked at me in surprise. I gave them an 'I told you so' smile as I took my phone back. They returned to their spots and continued to talk amongst themselves. I'm probably only there out of courtesy of being their cousin. Free dinner though. Not soon after, I got a text from you that said that they seemed mean. I quietly chuckled at your text before responding that they weren't always like that. The rest of the night went on and they never brought you up again. They never apologized for poking fun at me or doubting that you existed either. Whatever as long as we and the people we chose to let know first about us cares, it didn't matter to me if the ones around me right now cared or not. After all, it'll be us forever and always.