Epilogue

June 12, 2022

Strange- Celeste

Je te laisserai des mots- Patrick Watson

My brother and cousin were graduating and so was Ryan. As promised, I had gone to a few of his football games since he was now on Varsity and so was Andrew. I hadn't talked to Ryan since that day, but he caught me in the student lot waiting for my cousins and brother one day.

"You know you promised you'd go to my games." He quietly asked while I was moving stuff from the back seat to the trunk. When I turned to look at who it was, I had thought it was you for a split second. Everytime I see Ryan, he looks just like you; you two could pass as twins, in my opinion. The sad expression on his face as he looked at me, made me want to cry as I gave him a weak smile and said: "I did promise, didn't I?"

What did break me was when Andrew saw me again. My sweet little Andrew had cried when saw me on the field waiting to see him and Ryan. He had grown taller, much much taller. I was talking to Ryan when he made his way over, he was starting to make fun of Ryan for having fangirls until he saw me. The way his face dropped made me think that I wasn't welcomed until he dropped his helmet, scooped me into a bone-crushing hug, and mumbled that he missed me. At that point, I was soaked from the rain and tears were running down my face. The reality of how many hearts I broke that night really hit.

I also went to his basketball one for just a bit before leaving since I had seen that you were there. I watched your first games on the TV like I had always promised. I'm not one to break promises.

Everytime I see Ryan, he looks just like you. You two could pass as twins, in my opinion. I'm proud of him. Ryan and I weren't close like we used to after that day. I wasn't close with any of them after that. Andrew and Ryan only talked to me after school when I went to pick my brother and cousins up. We hadn't seen each other since that day, only in glimpses. The six musketeers grew apart; Bia, Zeph, and I still hang out once in a while.

It's been two years and a lot has changed.

I got a tattoo six days after we ended. It was my late-uncles' birthday, a little basic but meaningful. I hadn't realized until a few days after that it was the same date that we had first met. Fate is a funny thing, isn't it? I had dyed my hair multiple times throughout the last two years. From purple peekaboo to red highlights to blonde to reddish brunette. I stuck with reddish brunette hair though. I had changed a lot, but my life stayed the same. No one seemed to have filled the spot that left in my heart, yet. Maybe one day.

The crowd of the first graduation ceremony were piling out as me and Lia made our way in. I felt a little over dressed with my off-the-shoulder black dress with white polka dots and Amazon knockoff Mach & Mach heels. Who cares though, someone had to outshine the ladies there.

"Oop- I'm sorry." I say as I bump straight into someone.

"No problem. Athena?"

I could recognize that voice from anywhere. Even after two long years.

"Theo..."

You didn't seem to have changed. Maybe a little more muscular and brown curls longer than the last time I've seen you. You drop the hold you had on my arms as we smiled at each other.

"Here to outshine the ladies?" you chuckled as you checked out my outfit.

"Someone has to," I laughed as I gave you a little twirl.

We stood there in silence as I took in your presence. God, I could fall in love all over again with those bluish gray eyes.

"Any... Uhm..."

"No. You?" you asked as I shook my head. Before you could say anything, Ryan and Andrew came over.

"Congratulations Ry."

"Thank you angel." he thanked me as he pulled me into a hug before Andrew could. I talked to them for a bit, even giving a flower from the bouquet I had made for my brother, before walking away to get to my seat.

"See you in a while crocodile."

"See you later alligator."

Thank you for all the memories, Roos. Thank you for being my first heartbreak and being my three other heartbreaks too. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for it all.

I love you forever and always, Theo Schuster.