Chapter 62

February 7, 2020

"Happy 18th!" You shouted through the phone as I stood the phone up against my printer.

"Thank you, Roos."

"Ya know, UND is letting kids go home and switching classes online." You said with a grin. I knew what you were implying. You were coming home.

"Is that my birthday present?" I laughed as you proudly nodded. What better birthday gift could I get? We talked as I finished doing my homework and you packed. We laughed and joked until I got a text from Ryan.

"They got back together. He's coming home and sent his itinerary. Her name was on there."

My laughing and smiling dropped as I read the text. You got back together. You were coming home with her. You made my 18th birthday present be the fact that you were coming home. You didn't even tell me. I thought we were finally back to where we were, but I guess one step forward for us will always end up being three steps back.

"Sofia is coming home with you?" I interjected as you ranted about how much you missed me. If you missed me, you wouldn't have gotten back to your cheater of an ex.

"Wha- How'd you- Athena. Sweets, listen to me. I was gonna tell you."

"Tell me when? After you finish ranting about how much you miss me?! You know that getting back together with her, leaves us back to where we had just gotten past AGAIN!!" I yelped as tears welled up and I hung up the phone. After hanging up, you didn't even text to explain. You just left it at that. You choose her again, for the second time. I was the second choice again, for the second time.

If Ryan hadn't texted me, would you have told me? Or did I have to wait until the day I pick you up from the airport to find out? I wish I could hate you.