Chapter 57

December 20, 2019

Deja Vu- Olivia Rodrigo

I hadn't gone to see you off back to college after I told you what she said. Ryan and I got closer to each other. We were in the midst of Christmas shopping since break just started when he said that mom wanted me to stop by for Christmas.

"When should I stop by?"

"No clue. You could probably stop by at like four in the morning and someone would still let you in." he shrugged as we wandered around the mall.

"What do you want for Christmas?" I questioned as we looked through racks of clothes in Macy's for whatever that catches my eyes.

"Anything you give me."

This moment was giving me deja vu. Last year it was you at the other end of the question. Last year it was you that got a gift from me and who I was Christmas shopping for, not Ryan.

"Is Sofia coming for Christmas too? If she is, I'll drop it off and be on my way. She doesn't like me much."

"Probably. Fuck her. You-"

"Don't say that."

"You were here first. You knew us first. She doesn't get to say whether she likes you or not. Nor does she get to give him an ultimatum." Ryan grumbled. He knew. I don't know how he knows about her ultimatum. You wouldn't have told him. I never told anyone other than you.

"How'd—"

"I heard her. I was walking past to grab my phone. Then, I heard you and Theo. She doesn't get to be a bitch before getting to know you." he explained as we wandered around more.

"Give her a chance. She has the right to want to protect her relationship."

"You're too nice for your own good. " he tsked. We made our way out of Macy's and to Footlocker for Ryan to look at shoes. I stuck by his side as he browsed through the shoes. As we browsed through the store we bumped into Lia and her friends. I had hoped that she wouldn't notice it was me as I tugged him along and says sorry to her.

"It's alr— Athena?"

Hope down the drain.

"Uh, hey..."

"Hey. Who's this? This isn't the same guy I talked to on the phone." She greeted with a smirk as she looked between Ryan and I.

"I'm Ryan. His younger brother."

"Oh so, she brother hops." She tried to giggle amongst her friends as we rolled our eyes at her.

"At least she can pull," Ryan whispered, causing me to chuckle at his comment.

"Nice to meet y'all. We've got more shopping to do. Bye."

I waved at her before we moved away from her and her friends as they looked at Ryan in surprise from his comment. We giggled at their expressions as we continued to look for whatever Ryan was looking for. Before we knew it, it was dark out and we both parted ways after he had walked me to my car, a gentleman. As I settled down in my car, my phone went off. It was you. I had saved your number for months even when you had torn my heart apart, in hopes you'd change your mind.

"I'm not giving an ultimatum. He had already chosen anyway. You're just staying to be a homewrecker."

It wasn't from you. It was Sofia. It's true you had chosen her anyways, but I'm staying because I deserve to keep the relationship I had with your family before she came along. I sighed before deciding to ignore it. She can do as she pleases and so can you. You were never mine to care about anyways.