Chapter 40

May 10, 2019

Brutal- Olivia Rodrigo

After Party- Don Toliver

It was prom day and the last day of high school for you. I had gotten my dad to call me out since it was a half day for the seniors and your mom wanted me to be around to help her get you ready for prom.

"How can you leave me alone in school?" Bia jokingly asked as I walked her to her locker before leaving.

"Because I can and you'll survive." I laughed as she grabbed her books.

"Can I talk to you, Athenaa?" Abby says as she popped out behind me.

"It's Athena," I corrected.

"What is it?"

"In private." she says as she eyed Bia.

She had the audacity to act all high and mighty over Bia like she wasn't the one that broke Martins' and Bias' relationship. I never had anything against her, but hooking up with someone that she knew was in a relationship didn't help me stay neutral. I nodded and said bye to Bia as Abby and I walked down the empty stairs.

"So what did yo-"

"You should really stay away from Theo," she interjected.

"I can see that you're like in love with him or whatever, but I'm the one he's going to prom with and you know what happens after prom. I fit better with him anyways. I'm telling you this in courtesy of being nice and not wanting you to be all heartbroken over it when it happens." she says as I look at her in shock, trying to process what she had just said to me.

"Okay. That's all. Bye." she says as she walks away.

In courtesy, my ass. She just wanted to make me feel as insecure as possible and it worked. Any time there was a party, hook-ups were always involved. The hook-up drama or rumors would start the day after and the fear that you would succumb to her charms like Martin did started to bubble up. I walked out to my car as the insecurities started to eat me up. I wasn't pretty like Abby. I wasn't skinny like Abby. I'm built like a door. I wasn't blonde like Abby and most football players like you always had a thing for blondes. That ate me up. I pulled into your driveway as I was greeted by dad and Donnie as they cleaned up your car a bit.

"Back up is here!" Donnie shouted as he walked inside with me.

Before I could greet mom, she pulled me upstairs into, what I assumed, was your room. She had your suit and tie laid out on the bed and a bunch of dress shoes on the floor.

"Which pair should he wear?" she asked as she lined them up neatly.

I thought they all looked the same and just pointed at a random pair. She nodded and said that was her pick too as you walked in with wet hair and just sweats. I gave you a smile before turning back to mom scrambling around.

"Theo put a shirt on and go dry your hair. We need to get pictures before we go to pictures with Abby. Oh my god, Don didn't go pick up the corsage. Don!!!" she rambled as she ran out the door as we laughed at her hurried manner.

I had forgotten all the insecurities that were eating me up for a few minutes when mom was rambling, but it all came back when I looked back down at the suit and bow tie on your bed.

"Hey..." I quietly greeted as you dried your curls that made the girls whirl.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Just... just tired." I smiled.

The fact that you could sense something was wrong made the insecurities fade a little, but they were still there. I mean I'm literally there to help you get ready to be Abbys' prom date.