Chapter 37

April 19, 2019

The last two weeks nothing eventful really happened. Kiki and Jalerean made themselves the center of everyone's radar as they fought the entire week. The group hadn't talked to either of them for months and the fact that she was still with him wasn't surprising. Every time we'd see them during the last two weeks, they were arguing.

"They keep fighting like it's gonna save the toxic cycle they have going on." Kaia says as we sat down in the usual Bubba's booth, waiting for you and Martin.

Jason went out of town with his family for the week, leaving you and Martin to fend for yourselves.

"That's what they do best."

"Don't they get tired of it?" Bia says as we just shrugged.

Kiki distanced herself from the group for him and we couldn't do anything about it. We got tired of telling her it was a toxic cycle and that there was someone better for her. All we could do now was watch her continuously go through the cycle again and again like bystanders. You and Martin eventually came to the booth and sat down. There was immediate tension as soon as Martin sat down next to Bia. Everyone could feel it and could see that they were trying to pretend to be normal. We didn't say anything about it. It was up to them to tell us if something was wrong and we weren't going to push it. The night went on with laughs and jokes beside the tension between Bia and Martin.

"So... what's up with you two?" you asked as we got up from the booth.

They didn't say anything as we just continued to walk outside with the awkward tension. We stood by the cars as we waited for an answer from them.

"We broke up." they both said at the same time.

"We broke up yesterday." Bia says.

Our jaws dropped and eyes widened at the news. It was deja vu all over again. Questions started to bubble through my head at the news.

"What? Why?" Kaia and I questioned at the same time with shock still on our faces as you stayed quiet.

"Sometimes relationships just don't work out." Bia says softly as Martin looks down like the concrete was suddenly more interesting.

"He cheated, didn't he?" you suddenly spoke as everyone looked at you shocked.

Kaia and I looked at you confused and shocked at what you had just said. Martin wasn't one to cheat, I thought. He wouldn't do that to her. He couldn't, right? We looked back at them for answers as questions in my head went wild.

"Yeah..." she quietly confirmed as Kaias' expression dropped from confusion and shock to anger.

I stood there processing what was just said as you shook your head at him.

"How could you do that to her and how did you fucking know about it?" I shoot out as Kaia clenches her fist.

"I heard Abby talk about it yesterday with her friends. Something about whatever happened in Punta Cana stays in Punta Cana." you answered.

Punta Cana was three weeks ago. Three weeks ago and they broke up yesterday. Martin kept it from her for three weeks.

"Martin broke and told me yesterday night. I ended it right then and there over the phone." Bia responded as Martin continued to look at the ground.

"Fucking asshole!" Kaia shouted as she swung at him.

"You hooked up with Abby Waller!?" she shouted as she kept hitting him.

No one stopped her until you decided that it was enough and pulled her off of him. Bia started to tear up as she was again hit with the fact that he cheated on her.

"I- I was drunk. That's not an excuse, I know. But–"

"If you knew then you wouldn't have said it. Being drunk doesn't mean you forget that you have a GIRLFRIEND." I said as you held Kaia back and Bia stood there quietly.

"You cheated on me with the same Abby that you thought was annoying. The same girl that Theo's taking to prom" Bia stated as we shook our heads in disappointment.

The insecurity started to flow in as soon as he had confirmed that he cheated. You were going to prom with the same Abby. You were going to basically spend the entire night by Abbys' side. It didn't help that we weren't official. If you did hook up with her, I'm in no position to get mad. I knew what I was getting into when this all started and I'll just deal with it if it happens.

"Bia... I didn't– I'm sorry." he apologized with tears in his eyes.

This time we didn't convince her that breaking up was a bad idea. He cheated and there was no going back from that. We all stood there in silence, not knowing what to do next, as they quietly cried about it all. What was there to do? We couldn't give them a little push to get back together.

"We're still friends, Mars. Just like we were before." Bia says, breaking the silence.

We didn't object. It was her choice. We weren't just gonna give him the boot from the group. We were the six musketeers, but nothing was gonna stay the same with them as it was before.