Chapter 54

October 31, 2019

Happy Halloween, Rooster. It's been months since we last talked. Dad and Donnie had been to some of your games throughout the last two months. The texts had completely stopped and so did the calls. It doesn't help that what Ryan said last month was still lingering around in my head. I haven't had the chance to ask him about it, but when I do he'd just shrug it off. Everything went on as normal. I once again played wingwoman for Bia at homecoming. I got some kid named Kenny, snapchat for her so the rest is up to her. Kaia now has been talking to some kid called Tank. Zeph and I are still doing our usual walking around the halls and sometimes our new friend, Jacob, would join along. We had Med English for the first hour, which is an online class so we'd leave once the bell rang to go get breakfast. From time to time, I'd bring Ryan coffee. Life was back to normal, but we weren't.

You had blocked me on Snapchat. Ryan and Donnie had asked you about it for you to deny it. I, eventually, let go thinking it was just a glitch that Snapchat always seemed to have.

"Are you gonna elaborate what you said about Theo breaking my heart?" I asked Ryan as we went out to get dinner together with Andrew.

"What'd he say?" Andrew questioned, looking at the both of us with curiosity. I told him what Ryan had said and he turned to question Ryan about it as well.

"It's... It's not my place to say."

"What do you mean? Are you hiding something from us?" Andrew pushed further.

"I... No... It's just something changed in Theo," he sighed.

"That's all I can say."

Before we could ask further, he was saved by the waiter and the topic was pushed to the backburner. At least now I know that I wasn't the only one that could sense that something has changed. After dinner, we said our goodbyes as I went over to Veronicas' house to go out with her and her friends. The ride to her house was filled with music and the thoughts that's winding through my head. Ryan's hiding something, I thought as I drove. I don't know what it is, but he's hiding something. Whatever it is also seems to be eating him up every time I ask. Once I parked and went inside Veronicas' house, I still looked out of it. She was talking to her boyfriend on the phone when I came in and once she noticed the uncertain look on my face as my head ran a mile a minute to decipher what Ryan's hiding, she ended the call.

"What happened?" she says as she continues to do her makeup. I didn't respond at first. It wasn't until she turned around and looked at me.

"He blocked me. Something's wrong. Even his brother said something's wrong, but won't say what was." I broke the silence as she processed what I just said. She didn't say anything back as she turned back to the mirror.

"It's doomed from the moment he left for college without making it official." she mumbled without a care.

That chipped at my heart. You wouldn't do what you fought Martin about when he had broken up with Bia. We were official to almost everyone that knew us, or so I had thought. Her words didn't ease any of my thoughts, but I pushed it all aside for Halloween.