Chapter 56

December 1, 2019

Traitor- Olivia Rodrigo

It's been a few days since whatever happened at Thanksgiving. I was over at your house again to hang out with Ryan and Andrew. You and Sofia weren't there when I got there, so it was a relief. We sat in the basement playing games, well they taught me how to play games, and just hung out. Mom and dad would come down from time to time to check on us and give you snacks. I sat on the couch with Marley as Ryan and Andrew played 2K. I was too busy watching them yell at each other and at the TV screen to notice that you were home and had made your way downstairs. I laughed as Ryan lost and called for a rematch. This moment felt like my heart was never broken and that this was how it was supposed to be.

"Hey..." you quietly greeted me as you sat down. I gave you a tight lip smile before turning my attention back to the other two and moving further away from you on the couch. It was like you were Jalerean and I never wanted to be near him. You looked at me like you were gonna say something, but opted to keep quiet. The silence between us used to be comfortable and calming, but now it was just anxiety-inducing and uncomfortable. The longer we sat together, the more anxious I got, that Sofia was gonna come down and would give me another hurtful earful and give you an ultimatum. The only thing that ultimatum she'd give you is break hearts.

"Where's Sofia?"

"She flew home the day after Thanksgiving to spend it with her family." you informed me before we went back to sitting in silence with Ryan and Andrew screaming at each other. I curled myself up, knees tight against my chest, as we sat in silence. We were never like this before, even in silence, we could still hear each other's heartbeat as we cuddled close with one another; but now, I cuddled up with myself, sitting as far as possible as the couch would let me.

"Oh. Hey Theo." Andrew greeted you as he and Ryan came back to sit on the couch. Andrew sat down next to you on your left, handing you the controller. Ryan moved Marley to your side and sat down next to me. He handed me the controller, like I knew what I was doing.

"I don't know how to play." I whispered to him.

"I'll teach you as you play against him."

He placed his hands on top of mine as we controlled my hands to control the controller as we played. I wasn't as bad as I thought I was, but I was still bad. We were all back to normal. We acted like nothing changed. We were having fun like we used to. Once our turn ended, I handed the controller back to Ryan and went upstairs to get some water. I could feel you trailing behind me as I walked up the stairs.

"Athena... Athena! What did she say to you?" you questioned as I grabbed a water bottle.

"She told me to not hang out with you or your family anymore. She said that you guys have her now. She said thank you for keeping her seat warm and that I was no longer needed. She said that she'd give you an ultimatum if I didn't." I shuddered as I stood behind the kitchen island.

"I–"

"But that wasn't what hurted me, Roos. You did. All you had to do was tell me that whatever we were is over and that you had met someone new. That was all you had to do. You just blocked me out, literally, and then brought her home. You said you wanted me. What happened to that?" I whimpered as you stepped around the island and closer to me. Tears welling up with every step you took. Being here today made me realize that she would give you an ultimatum either way, because I wasn't going to stop being friends and close with your family, but that didn't matter at that moment. You didn't respond, so I took that as the answer. You never wanted me, but I do and I'll stick around for you like I had promised.

"We can't be like we were before, Theo. We're just going to stay as friends. Not best friends or anything more, just friends." I stated as a flash of hurt shows through your eyes. You just nodded and I walked away from you, back downstairs to Andrew and Ryan. We're back to where we started.