Ch. 19: A Sudden Dilemma

Chapter Playlist~

Enhypen - Attention, Please!

Tomorrow X Together - 0X1=LOVESONG (I Know I Love You)

...

"Heejin... What if I told you I like you?"

With all seriousness in his tone and expression, Jay looked ahead, towards the girl he's always had feelings for. Finally, he had told her. But still, the results of this one relied on whether she would take him seriously or not.

It had been a long day. A lot had happened. At least, emotionally, for Jay. Now if Heejin could just-

"You're joking, right?"

"Huh?" Jay's eyes widen, and he looks towards Heejin to see the girl looking at him with her brows furrowed and a possible scoff playing on her lips... The same reaction she always gave him when she thought he was just playfully flirting with her.

What was this? Is she really that clueless? Or is she just feigning ignorance to avoid the situation? The first one just can't be, right? That's Lee Heejin, the school's know-it-all!

Jay was definitely surprised. But if anything, he was more disappointed. If Heejin was just acting, how could she just stay this calm over a confession?

"Huh... Yeah, I guess so?" Jay finally responds, a soft laugh escaping him. He looks down at the ground, but it's only just so Heejin wouldn't be able to see the hurt in his eyes. And the last thing he ever says about the matter is nothing but a lie. "Ha... You always see through me so well, Heejin."

▪■▪

That was two weeks ago. And Jay definitely felt hurt and embarrassed. And yet, seeing Heejin seemingly act more favorable towards Taehyun only fueled his emotions. And before he even realized what he was doing, Jay had already made it to the stage, facing Taehyun with a challenging smirk and his hand on one of the mic stands.

"What do you think I'm doing, new kid? I'm challenging you."

Taehyun's frown deepens, and his grip on his mic stand tightens as he eyes Jay. Just what exactly is this kid trying to do? "What kind of bet-"

"Oh, no, no. It's not a bet," Jay cuts him off, not even letting Taehyun finish before he further explained his statement. "I'm just trying to find something out..." He lets go of the mic, then he walks towards Taehyun before holding one hand out and slipping the other into his pocket. "It's a fair challenge. One on one. Whoever she chooses in the end won't have any effect on anything else. It's just me versus you, and her choice on who's better."

"'Who's... better'?" Taehyun questions Jay's statement. Then he looks towards the boy, only to see the highly competitive look in his eyes. "This... is a battle of pride, isn't it?"

Taehyun looks towards the other band members, and they all look at him, seemingly just waiting for his next actions. He turns back to the Jay, then his eyes wander to the other boy's hand outstretched towards him, waiting for that signal that he's accepting the challenge.

"If I accept this challenge, I'm playing right into whatever trap he probably has against me. Moreover, it would probably even make Heejin uncomfortable. But if I don't accept it, he probably won't shut up about it and Heejin might scold me for being a coward..."

Once again, Taehyun hesitates. But there's no denying that his hand is twitching beside him, wanting to move. Suddenly, it feels as if all eyes are on him.