Ch. 40: Sweet Ride Home

When Heeseung woke up several minutes later, he didn't know what to expect. Even more so, he didn't know what to do when he felt a weight on his shoulder and he turns to find Jiwoo sleeping with her head resting on his shoulder.

He even almost jumped, actually. But before that could happen, it hits him that he has to be quiet... and still. The last thing he wants to do is to wake Jiwoo up because he couldn't handle the experience of her sleeping with her head on his shoulder.

It took quite a while for him and his heart to calm down, but when it did, they had already arrived at their school and Jiwoo had already woken up. And that just meant, that Heeseung would have new reasons to feel nervous all over again.

"Well, that was fun, don't you think?" Jiwoo asks after she and Heeseung had gotten off the bus. Her playful smile is back, and she turns to Heeseung, the boy could only manage to meet her eyes for two seconds before he quickly looks away. He can't really tell if Jiwoo would be able to notice his feelings now that he's being so obvious, but a few seconds later, he jumps when he realizes that Jiwoo had stepped up to right infront of him.

"Gah! Oh my gosh!"

"Hey, don't you think I deserve something in return for taking care of you?" she asks, her brows raised and a mischievous smirk on her face.

Heeseung was still grasping his chest after that scare Jiwoo gave him. And he almost glares at her before he replies with an annoyed tone. "Says the one who slept all the way back here. And you used me as your pillow, too!"

"Hey, I took care of you, too, back there when you were sent to the clinic. And that was for much longer than the ride home!" Jiwoo responds almost immediately.

At this point, Heeseung didn't have anything to say anymore. He knows Jiwoo has a point, and he just huffs as he looks away from her while keeping his hands in his pocket. "... Alright, fine. But it better not be too big of a favor because who knows what you'd ask!"

Jiwoo hums contentedly in response, as her mischievous smile returns, and she raises her index finger infront of Heeseung. "One second. Just one second to do what I want."

Heeseung's brows furrow, and he looks past Jiwoo's finger towards Jiwoo herself as he asks. "... To do what?"

Heeseung's eyes widen in the next second, because before he even realizes it, he's suddenly in the arms of Jiwoo after the girl had stood up on her toes and placed her arms around his neck. It lasted for a second, indeed, but Jiwoo's smile remains after she pulls back, and now Heeseung's heart is pounding all over again. And his eyes are wide, and he sounds completely flabbergasted when he finally speaks.

"W-what the- What was that?!"

"A hug?" Jiwoo responds matter-of-factly, before she laughs at his reaction. "Oh, come on! Don't tell me you didn't want it, too! And besides... It's also a kind of 'thank you'." All of a sudden, Jiwoo's smile turns shy, and she chuckles as she looks down.

Silence settled between them again for a moment, since neither one of them seemed to know what to do now. But a few moments later, it becomes Jiwoo's turn to be surprised, as Heeseung takes it upon himself to place his arms around her and pull her into another hug.

The silence continues to stretch after this, though. But this time, it feels much more peaceful, as Jiwoo finally hugs Heeseung back and they stand there like that for a while...

Until Jiwoo decides to speak up again with her usual playful tone. "What's this? I don't remember having any deal where you have to hug me back?"

"Oh, just shut up for a sec, will you?" Heeseung responds with his usual annoyed tone, but he smiles a second later, and even more so when he hears Jiwoo chuckle.