Ch. 45: Reasons to Live

‼️TW‼️: censored cursing, mentions of self-harm and suicide...

...

"Hey, Son Jiwoo... I thought I told you to stay away from this guy?" Yunhwan asks with a menacing glare pointed straight at Heeseung once he finishes speaking.

Heeseung, on the other hand, doesn't hesitate to return a glare at him, too. That is, before he glances towards Jiwoo a second later only to widen his eyes when he sees her frozen in place. And that just makes him even more angry with the unexpected newcomer.

"Hey, Jiwoo-!"

"Hey, what's it to you if Jiwoo doesn't stay away from me or not? And we literally just met by accident. Don't you think you're being paranoid by making her do that?" Heeseung asks as he stands in front of Jiwoo, keeping her away from Yunhwan's view as he faces the other boy.

Jiwoo's eyes widen at Heeseung's actions in response, and she lifts her hand to try and stop him from provoking her boyfriend any further, only to flinch and freeze again when Yunhwan raises his voice.

"Son Jiwoo!"

With that, Jiwoo instinctively grabs onto Heeseung's arm, alarming the latter as he turns to her for a brief moment before he turns back to Yunhwan with a frown.

"Hey. Stop that," Heeseung tells him, but Yunhwan ignores him as he proceeds to accuse Jiwoo.

"Hey, Jiwoo! Are you serious, right now?! Say something, dammit! Are you really cheating on me right now with this guy?!"

"I said stop that!" Heeseung tells him, as he starts to move towards Yunhwan to attack him, only to be stopped by Jiwoo's tight grip on his arm.

"Heeseung, stop!"

Heeseung immediately freezes at Jiwoo's order, before he looks ahead just in time to see Yunhwan walk up to him and punch him in the face instead. Heeseung falls to the ground in the next second due to the force, and Jiwoo gasps before she turns to her boyfriend with pleading eyes.

"Stop! Both of you, stop already!"

"You stay out of this," Yunhwan growls at her before he grabs Heeseung by the collar. However, Jiwoo stops him as she grabs his arm and makes him face her as she starts begging.

"Yunhwan, please. This won't happen again, I promise. I'll never go see Heeseung again, just please don't hurt him!"

Yunhwan looks at her with a scowl, but when Jiwoo continues begging with tears in her eyes, he finally lets go of Heeseung, and he grabs Jiwoo's wrist and pulls her away from her classmate. "You better stick with what you said," he tells her threateningly, and then he pulls her away as Heeseung sits up and watches them go.

Jiwoo looks back at him as they leave, but a guilty look now shows in her eyes as she meets Heeseung's. And then she and Yunhwan disappear from Heeseung's sight.

A heavy sigh comes out of Heeseung as he grabs his hair, and then a second later, he screams for a brief moment before he drops back down on the concrete. "Ugh, seriously..."

▪■▪

The next day, Heejin waits by the main entrance of the school, restlessly tapping her foot on the ground and watching the gate for the arrival of a certain flashy red car.

Jinhee's aunt seems to be taking her time to get to the school, however, and it isn't really making Heejin feel good about the current situation. Most especially since she's been feeling like something's off since the day started.

"Ugh, seriously. Where is that woman?" Heejin mutters under her breath as she furrows her brows.

"... Who?" Another voice suddenly asks from behind Heejin, and she turns around to see who had spoken. Taehyun looks on at her curiously as he slowly approaches her, and while barely noticing, a small smile forms on Heejin's face as she looks at him.