Ch. 35.5: SECTION EPILOGUE: The Wingman

▪■▪
(In Jay's perspective)

Sigh...

I don't even know what I'm doing at this point.

I know I've already been friendzoned a long time ago. That's done and decided. And I've been trying my best to get over it all, but...

Hey, SINCE WHEN WAS BEING THEIR WINGMAN ONE OF THE CONDITIONS I HAD TO DEAL WITH?!

Because if I have to keep getting stuck in between these two everytime some weird and awkward thing happened, then I don't even wanna do this anymore!

At least... That was the original plan. If only I didn't let my emotions get to me, then maybe I would have already just ditched trying to support Heejin in whatever decisions she might make.

But just look at her!

That... You don't see that everyday!

That look she has when she's flustered and disoriented because of some guy. The way she talks on and on about this one person. The way her cheeks turn red and she becomes disoriented when a weird moment is mentioned. And worst of all!...

Her eyes sparkle.

I know she'll just deny it when I tell her. Of course, she doesn't notice it yet, but her eyes sparkle. Every. Single. Time. She looks at that new kid, and her eyes turn animated, like he's some kind of remote that just turns her on like a TV!

Fine, I'll admit it! That kid's cool and all...

I just hoped they wouldn't keep getting me involved in their troubles... It's making me sick.

"Heejin!"

Well... at least, it isn't all the time that I have to be stuck in between. Sometimes, I get stuck at the sidelines...

I quickly hide at a hallway intersection as soon as I see Taehyun approaching Heejin at the entrance. Took him long enough. I almost took off my own jacket to give to her, but I guess he came just in time.

There it is again. See that?

The way she's smiling, looking at him like he's the most interesting thing she's ever seen. I'm jealous, of course. Just why did I have to have absolutely no choice in becoming their wingman? And a constant witness, too.

They take a while, talking and stuff. It doesn't seem to be anything too serious or too casual, though. They're just... talking.

And then Heejin pulls Taehyun's jacket tighter around herself. She sure is getting real comfortable with him lately. I'd have almost started thinking she knew him for longer than she knew me.

And then they leave.

Sigh...

What is wrong with me?

I was never this pathetic before. Even after everything. Even after all my father did to keep me under his control. Even after all that bullying my classmates did when that rumor came out. I have only ever felt so pathetic because of... Well, it's because of...