Ch. 39: Too Many Surprises

Screams and gasps fill the auditorium after Heeseung had fainted on stage, now lying limp as his bandmates start to get out from their positions to try and get close to him to help.

"Heeseung!" Geonu shouts out in a panic as he reaches the boy's side first. "Heeseung!" He shakes him, then lightly taps his cheek to try and get him back to consciousness. For a second, Heeseung's eyes open, but he still seems heavily dazed and unaware of his surroundings. Geonu lets out a sigh of relief for a second, seeing that his friend is at least half-conscious, before he turns to his bandmates and the school staff that had appeared to help. "We need to bring him to the clinic. Quickly!"

▪■▪

Silence.

That's the first sound that greeted Heeseung's ears when he began to regain his consciousness. And as he slowly opens his eyes, he squints them immediately at the rays of sunshine hitting his eyes. Letting his gaze wander, he finds himself in a rather unfamiliar but clean clinic... And then it hits him.

"The competition!" he gasps as he abruptly sits up, confirming his impression that he is in a clinic after all.

"Oh, so you're awake," a familiar female voice then speaks up, and Heeseung flinches before turning to the source. And there, sitting beside the bed with her arms and legs crossed and an unamused expression on her face, is Son Jiwoo.

"O-oh... You're here." Heeseung seems to calm down a little upon seeing her. But then he notices the girl's stance, and a sheepish look forms on his face as he lifts his gaze to meet her eyes. "So..."

"You know, you had quite a lot of us worried with that little stunt you pulled earlier. You even made Kai cry because of what you did." With a straight face and an almost monotone voice, Jiwoo spoke, looking at Heeseung and expecting his reaction.

A guilty look forms on the boy's face as he responds. "O-oh... Is... Is Kai okay?"

Jiwoo looks away, her expression turning almost bitter as she shifts in her seat. "He'll be okay once he's sure you're fine... And you?" She turns to him, meeting his eyes. Though her expression stays the same, Heeseung could almost see concern in her eyes.

And once again, guilt overcomes him, as he looks away from the girl. "... Sorry."

"I was asking if you're okay, not for an apology. Come on, Heeseung! Don't go mushy on me now!" With a mock-annoyed tone, Jiwoo speaks, eventually earning an eye-roll from the boy sitting on the bed.

Heeseung eventually smiles awkwardly as he places his hand on the back of his neck. "Yeah, I'm fine, I guess."

Jiwoo chuckles at his response... And then her brows furrow when she suddenly remembers something. "Anyway... If you really think you should be apologizing, I don't think I'm the one you should be apologizing, too." With that, Heeseung looks back to Jiwoo and upon his eyes meeting hers, the girl smirks as she pulls out her phone from her pocket. "On, that note, I should probably tell everyone already that you're awake now."

Well, little did Heeseung know just how far the newd about him fainting had gone. Heck, if anything he must have expected only the band to know about this. And so, it had been much to his surprise when, not even a minute after Jiwoo had sent a text, the door opens with a bang, and in barges Heejin with the rest of the band and the dance crew behind her.