4.8 Clint Barton

You slung your backpack over your shoulder and exited the bus. You stepped onto the path that led to your parents' farm just as the doors slid close behind you, and the bus drove off.

You kept standing there for a brief moment, sucking in a deep breath as you prepared yourself for the lecture that was about to come before you started your walk home.

It was late, the sun was already setting, its rays just visible behind the hills and trees, as you finally reached your family's property.

Way too soon, the house came into view, and there, on the front porch, sat your Dad, waiting. He was sitting cross-legged, your dog laying on his lap, reading a newspaper.

You stepped onto the front porch and sat down next to your Dad, knowing you couldn't flee this situation.

"So..." You started.

"Psst, I'm reading." Your Dad sushed you.

"Sure." You mumbled and reached out to pet the dog, who was still laying comfortable between you and your Dad.

At least ten minutes passed before your Dad closed his newspaper and turned to face you.

"You're two hours late. And if that wasn't enough, your teacher called."

"Oh." You shifted uncomfortably.

"Yeah, oh." Clint scoffed. "He said you didn't bring your homework, again. And that you've got detention." He looked at you, excepting you to say something, but you stayed quiet.

"I want you to explain yourself." He said.

You just shrugged, unable to meet his eyes.

It was then that Clint noticed something was up. You gave no witty remarks, and you weren't even defending yourself.

"Tiger, what's up?" He asked, now clearly worried.

You released a shaky breath. "It's just-" You swallowed around the lump in your throat. "It's just that I've been so busy helping Nathaniel with his stuff and-"

"Nathaniel?" Clint interrupted. "What has Nathaniel to do with this?"

"He's been struggling with Science and Math, and i'm trying to teach him. But that takes time and sometimes I don't find the time for my school stuff and-" You kept rambling.

"Woah, Tiger, calm down. Why didn't you tell us?"

"I didn't think it was important." You shrugged.

"Not important? Tiger, if you are struggling, I want you to tell me."

"I was afraid -"

"Afraid?" Clint asked, surprised. "You don't have to be afraid, Tiger. You can tell us anything, you know that right?" He hugged you close to his side, causing your dog to jump up and huff.

You nodded.

"Next time this happens, you'll tell us, okay? Mom and I can help Nathaniel, and you can concentrate on your stuff."

"I really appreciate you helping your brother, but sometimes it's okay to be a bit selfish." He smiled. "Okay?"

"Okay." You agreed.

"Now, enough school talk. I think I smell dinner." He smirked and pulled you up with him.