5.8 Clint Barton

"You have everything?" Clint asked, poking his head into your room, where you were packing your back frantically.

"Almost!" You squealed.

"Come on, Tiger! Hurry up, or it'll be dark before we get the tent out!" Your dad teased you.

"Dad!" You protested. "You're stressing me out!"

Clint chuckled. "I'm waiting outside!"

"No, wait!" You yelled. "I've got everything!" You zipped up your backpack and sprinted after your Dad, who was already outside on the front porch waiting for you.

He was looking out over the fields surrounding the house, carrying the tent under one, and various snacks and drinks under his other arm.

As he heard you hurrying outside, Clint turned to look at you and gave you a once-over. "You sure you've got everything, Tiger?"

You nodded impatiently, barely able to contain your excitement.

Going camping was a Barton tradition Clint did with all his kids on the night before their 10th birthday, and this year, it was your turn. You were so excited for this day to come; just you and your Dad, for a whole night!

"Come on then, Tiger! Let me show you how to put up a tent!"

After you finished with the tent (which took various attempts and nerves), Clint and you went into the woods to look for firewood.

"Is this enough, dad?" You asked, your arms already hurting from carrying so much weight.

"A little bit more, Tiger."

"But my arms..." You whined.

Clint chuckled. "Here, I'll take yours, and you go back to the tent and get the marshmallows ready, okay?"

Your eyes went wide, and you shook your head frantically. "You mean I should go back to the tent through the dark forest alone? No way."

"You're right," Clint laughed. "What a stupid idea. Collect some more wood then, alright?"

You nodded and went back to work.

Soon enough, you and Clint had enough wood to make a decent fire.

Back at the tent, Clint lighted the fire, and you two got comfortable on your blanket.

"You got the snacks ready, kiddo?"

You nodded and handed Clint the stick with his marshmallows.

"Now, lesson three: how to make the perfect marshmallow. Here we go..."