EIGHTEEN. hunters

Seeing the hunters come out of the woods, I was scared

Seeing the hunters come out of the woods, I was scared. Scared they would somehow succeed this time in killing us. But I knew the pack wouldn't let that happen. I knew they would do anything to protect me and Auggie, as well as Scarlett.

Even though they didn't know Scarlett, they knew she was just like Auggie and me. Someone who lost their family to the hunters who thought that they were monsters. So the pack surrounded us, knowing the hunters wouldn't try anything.

"Well, well, well, look what we have here. I see Scarlett here found you, Esmeralda. But like I said last time, just because you hide behind these shifters doesn't mean I won't try and kill you." Marcus says.

I laugh, "Come on now, Marcus. We've already been over this. Do you really need another history lesson about the shifters?"

"No, I remember. But I won't stop trying, Esmeralda." Marcus says, then looks at Auggie. "By the way, little brother, there is thirteen now, right? And I know the full moon has passed. Did he shift and become a monster, as I said."

Auggie lets out a growl and shows his eyes as I grab his hand.

Marcus laughs, "See, now I have to kill him too."

When he says that, the pack grows angrier and starts to shake. They all wanted to tear these hunters apart for threatening us.

"Oh, did I hit a nerve shifters?" Marcus asks with a smirk.

"I wouldn't push them, Marcus. They have no problem with tearing you guys apart."

He smiles, "Yeah, maybe, but they can't, seeing as their job is to protect humans. And seeing we're all human, they can't harm us."

Paul then had enough and phased, and soon after, so did the rest of the pack. They all got into a defensive stance, slowly stalking the hunters. I see Marcus' look turn from cocky to confused and scared.

I smile, walking just behind the pack, "See, that's how I know you have no clue about shapeshifters. Especially this pack itself."

I stand among the pack a few feet from the hunters, "Their job is to protect humans, as you said. But their number one most absolute law is never to harm an imprint." I see Marcus' face turn cold. "And you just threatened to kill me an imprint."

Marcus sighs, "Fine. I won't kill you, but if you don't hand over Scarlett there, I won't hesitate to."

"I'm not letting you kill her. And neither will the pack." I say.

"She's not an imprint to any shifters, so why protect her?"

I shake my head, "Because she's worth protecting. The pack knows about our kind's story. They know how not many of us are left because of you hunters. They are more than willing to protect Scarlett."

Knowing that we won, I smile, but instead of seeing a defeated look on Marcus' face, I see an evil smirk. My smile fades, realizing he must have some kind of plan.

"Esmeralda!" Auggie shouts.

I turn and see a hunter has gotten behind us and grabs Auggie while Scarlett is on the ground with an arrow in her arm. I see Marcus run to where Auggie is before me, or the pack could even grab him, see we were distracted.

Marcus smiles and then takes out a jar with black powder. I knew instantly what it was.

"NOOO!" I screamed out, running to try and stop him, but I was too late. He slams the jar on the ground, and a circle surrounds him, the other hunter, and Auggie.

"Mountain ash." I hear Scarlett say from the ground.

I walk up to the ash and bang my hands on the barrier, "Let him go!"

"I can't do that, Esmeralda. He's a monster and deserves to be killed."

I bang my hand on the barrier again. I hear a growl behind me and see it's Paul. Marcus' smile faults as Paul stalks up to the circle of mountain ash. But instead of stepping over the line, he is stopped by the invisible barrier as well.

Marcus smiles brightly, "It seems as though your precious shifters can't cross mountain ash either."

I feel the tears start to form in my eyes, and I pound on the mountain ash. I punch and punch through it. I try and force my hands through the barrier to get to Auggie.

"Oh, come on, Esmeralda. You won't be able to get through the mountain ash. Just give up and say goodbye to your brother." Marcus says, pointing a gun at Auggie's temple.

I ignore what he says and focus on Auggie with my hands, still trying to push through the barrier. All I could think about was what my mother told me about protecting Auggie and ensuring our kind didn't die out. I use this as motivation and push my hands deeper into the barrier, trying to break through.

I feel my eyes start to glow, and I growl, seeing the tears in Auggie's eyes. I see the smile on Marcus' face falter. It's then I feel my eyes change color. It gives me more power, and I manage to step over the mountain ash. With one final step in the circle, I break the barrier causing the hunters and Auggie to fall.

A/N:
here is some more action and drama.
can y'all guess what's happened at the end i bet you have. but you'll just have to wait for next chapter.
also this part is almost over then it's part two which i'm excited about.
hope you enjoy
bye!!!!!!!!!