TWENTY. apologies

We are standing at the treaty line, waiting for the pack to arrive

We are standing at the treaty line, waiting for the pack to arrive. Just then, the pack shows up in their wolf forms. They stared at us, seeing that it was just my pack and me, and they left to shift back. They come back all in their shorts. It was silent between the two packs. Nobody knew what to say.

"Alright, enough with the deafening silence." Scarlett said first. "Are you guys gonna apologize or not?"

Sam glared at Scarlett, but she just brushed it off. At the same time, both packs tried to hide a smile from Scarlett's remark.

"We're sorry, Esmeralda. We should've gone after your family." Sam says reluctantly, but I could tell he meant it.

"You all should be sorry. You knew how much they meant to me. To Auggie. That they are all we have left of our family, yet you went after them."

"Esmeralda, you have to understand why we did it." Sam sighs.

"I do understand, Sam. You thought what you were doing was best to protect the people in Forks and La Push. I understand that. That the baby was something unknown to you and you were sacred." I paused. "But do you understand why I left to protect the Cullen's?"

It was silent on their side. Did they really not understand why? They were supposed to be my family—an extension of my pack.

"Because you love them, and they're your family." Paul says.

I look at him, seeing that he finally understood. I looked into his eyes, seeing guilt in them. I knew he was sorry and that he wanted us to forgive them. He wanted me to forgive him.

"They are." I said, looking only at Paul.

"Do you guys understand why we left with Esmeralda?" Timmy said, stepping up next to me.

Embry looks to Scarlett and gives her a sad smile, "Because she's your alpha. You'll always follow her. Just like we do with Sam."

"She's helped us feel like a family. Ever since all of us have found her." Scarlett said.

"So when she left to defend the only family she had left, we followed her." Kimiko said. "We know she would do the same for us if it were the other way around."