Chapter 30: Battle of Mombasa Part. 1

Grey and dark plumes of smoke rose up into the sky, the smog from the growing flames throughout the city making it hard to see the sky, which had once been bright and endless, but now reduced to a cage, keeping the people of Mombasa contained and hopeless. The cities' skyline, while in recent years, famed for its innovative and modern architecture, bore more resemblance to mutilated corpses, with dilapidated skyscrapers threatening to collapse, with the fears of hundreds cowering below.

Over the last few years, since the general conclusion of the Omnic Crisis and the containment of the God A.I, many African nations, including many east-African countries, saw a technological renaissance with mass growth, Mombasa being a city that benefited much from the increased prosperity. With the increased amount of wealth and power the city gained, it attracted more people, fuelling the economy of the burgeoning metropolis and soon became a beacon for innovation and the standard for megalopolises going forward into the future.

Yet, it would seem as if all the progress made over the last few years was for nought. Mass damage to infrastructure, with dangerous and fatal drops in transit lines and main roads, causing much of the city to shut down without the ability of movement. Main utilities, hospitals, police, fire-fighters, all on their last legs, trying to help as best as they can, but with reduced manpower and help from the outside world, there was little they could do.

Extensive damage done to the ports of the city, causing newly designed sea-walls to crumble and fall, began great amounts of flooding throughout much of the shoreline and lower parts of the city, adding to the chaos. This city, only recently cited as one of humanities beacons of progress and advancement, left a smouldering hole suffocating hope and bringing only death and destruction.

Over the sky-line of the city, deep within the smoke, one could see titans, ginormous machines of war, surveying the area, causing untold destruction and casualties, with each step making great impacts and systemic shocks through the earth. Large fighter jets and bombers, controlled by the Omnic's A.I systems, covered the sky, granting large amounts of surveillance and authority over the city. On the ground, many different types of Omnic roamed the street, with many siege automatons bastion units, or B73 models, which were believed to have been mostly destroyed by Overwatch, took defensive positions throughout key positions throughout, while large OR14's roamed, looking for human victims to slaughter.

This had been one of the worst instances of violence seen between humanity and the Omnics since the end of the Omnic Crisis, and the sheer scale of the conflict seemed to suggest that this whole plan had been premeditated for a long time. The only hope that the people of Mombasa now had was that a hero would appear, anyone who would come to relieve them of this deadly siege upon their homes. However, unknown to the cowering population of Mombasa, the Overwatch organisation, in conjunction with the United Nations, had already begun their offensive to retake the city and save the day.

From a long distance away, a large ship could be seen in the sky, looking down upon Mombasa from a safe distance. This was one of Overwatch's mobile command fortresses, able to travel across the planet, carrying ships, manpower and firepower to deal with any situation. The ship remained still and stationary, observing the city in peril. A loud shrieking noise could be heard as multiple MV-261 Orca, the main transport vessels used by Overwatch, soared past through the shattered city, one of the three ships taking centre stage while the other two remained behind to its sides, in a defensive position.

From within Overwatch's main command ship, an older woman could be seen at a command post, wearing a small headset, looking stressed and exhausted, the last few days taking its toll. The woman was none other than Dr Liao, whose expertise on Omnics was seen as invaluable towards this mission, yet it was decided that she would remain behind for the time being, communicating with the rest of the Overwatch Strike Team. "Jack, we keep getting the same message coming through from their systems, it just keeps repeating, Regret. Regret. Regret. Any idea what that could mean?"