Chapter 33: Blackwatch

[Y/N] could be seen sitting, still and motionless, in a cheap, metal chair, in a cold and lonesome waiting room, isolated. The young man, in his human form, was simply staring, staring at the wall across from him, looking at the white wall, the bone white wall, and it made him feel cold, engulfing him into his mind, drifting away from reality, lost in a trance. The white walls had been a constant throughout his life, and they intimidated yet comforted him, he was around them so often, it might as well have been family.

The succinct ticking noise could be heard in the room, reverberating against the walls, piercing the dead silence, and a steadily growing annoyance was rising from the [Y/N]. Looking down from the wall, he looks at his hands, contemplating the last few days, fidgeting, awaiting his meeting. Since the Battle of Mombasa, over a week ago, there had been great amounts of change in regards to his position within Overwatch.

Since the giant fiasco in Kenya, while it was his first real operation with Overwatch, it would seem to have also been his last, and [Y/N] couldn't have been more pissed off about it. Not only had he proved vital to the success of the operation, being the one to kill Regret and helping destroy the Scarab, but he had saved many people who had fallen victim to the Omnic's invasion. However, that was not how the general public saw it...

From the limit footage retrieved (surprisingly), while they weren't able to get any real good shots of the monster, the fact that he, in his 'Doomsday' form, was running around, unrestricted and free to act as he wished, caused many to speak out in condemnation against the new candidate. Nobody cared about how important [Y/N] had been in regards to ending the brief conflict, the people saved, and how he had put his own body on the line for the protection of others, rather they only saw a rampaging beast.

Much of the collateral damage, while some caused by [Y/N] in understandable circumstances, much was caused by both Omnics and the combined United Nations task-force, yet most of it was used against [Y/N] as a case to have him removed from the team. At least there had been no major leaks about [Y/N]'s identity, no-one still knew his name, whether or not he was human or just a monster, besides the Overwatch team, and he liked to have it remain that way.

Thinking about the Overwatch team, he hadn't had a very productive time with them over the last week, partly due to his own introverted nature, but the actions he committed during the latter part of the operation seemed to scare some-people off, though some didn't seem to mind as much. An obvious example of this would be Reinhardt, who seemed to understand the young man's 'distaste' towards Omnics more so than any other members on the team, and thus empathised with him more-so. It also helped that Reinhardt was incessant about another duel between the two, which [Y/N] obliged, planning a time at a later date, to the joyful reaction of the older crusader. At first, [Y/N]'s perception of the older man was not very positive, reckless and headstrong, going solo and so on. However, after fighting shoulder to shoulder with the man, as well as Wilhelm's attempts to reconcile their relationship over the last few days, greatly improved the young man's opinion.

Vivian also seemed to empathise with the younger man, she too also fought alongside the monster, being defended multiple times, and a sense of kinship grew between the two, and a level of respect was achieved. Whatever way the argument came down, Vivian was sure to support [Y/N], seeing him as a valuable asset to the team and a good team member. [Y/N] was certainly, and quite rightfully pissed at commander Morrison, who clearly threw him under the bus, whether or not he wanted to, but their relationship had been somewhat strained. Little did [Y/N] know that the older man had been raggedly fighting in favour of the monster for the last week, constant meetings and discussions with higher-ups, strongly attempting to keep [Y/N] in their care, whether or not he would be on the team or not. Reyes, while not being as close to the young man as the rest of the team, candidly showed [Y/N] support, telling him that he would do "everything in his ability" to keep him with them, confusing the young man, who didn't really understand why the older soldier was trying so hard to help him, considering they hadn't interacted much. [Y/N] simply came to the conclusion that this was some attempt to get in his favour or gain some leverage, either way, he would adapt to what would come next.