Chapter 104: Steel and Stone

(AN: I want to do an experiment and switch the cover to a woman and see how many more people will interact with the story, compared to when it's usually Doomsday. Not overly suggestive or anything. Maybe for like a week, and then I'll switch it back. I imagine that will probably get more traffic, but I would love to be happily surprised. And yes, loyal readers. I know that would be clickbait. That's the point! It's all about engagement and clicks and reads! Nothing else matters! Even if I need to sacrifice my moral integrity as an amateur writer! Mind games! Business! Franchising! Enterprise! I'm also dropping chapter 105 at the same time, since I feel like I haven't posted in a while, so enjoy...)

====================

[Ruins of Wichita]

It was hard to see much. Night had taken back control from the day, shrouding the country in its veil of darkness. However, the black of night wasn't the only thing concealing the remnants left from the once flourishing metropolitan area. Fires burned across the ruin, refusing to die down. Enormous towers of smoke plumes crept upwards. Where once many large skyscrapers took up the entire horizon, now it was a barren and desolate waste, each one broken against the craters below. Any semblance of there being once streets was now completely gone. Upturned dirt had fused with cement and stone alike, not that dissimilar to the Outback. Giant ravines had been etched into the ground, scarring the land. And the meandering Arkansas river quickly began seeping into the large trenches left in its wake, creating a deep moat.

A herd of black helicopters swept over top, like a dark plague. They swept across the landscape, the repeating beat from each individual spinning blade announcing their arrival. And they weren't modest in their approach, bold and aggressive. Against the side of most, a round symbol had been emblazoned. It didn't appear too dissimilar to that of Overwatch. Red, black and white, with a large vertical A in the centre. It was hard to make out the writing along its outline, as they raced across the sky. However, any US government official should have known the name well enough. Advanced Research Group for United Support, or ARGUS for short.

 Advanced Research Group for United Support, or ARGUS for short

No Overwatch vehicles could be seen however, rather they had been excused from their duties. In some abnormal political manoeuvring, it appeared ARGUS had retained the rights for clean-up and containment. They were the sole force allowed to enter the ruined city, and they would be the one's to move the creature's to a secure location. How they had managed that task after shirking their obligations originally? Nobody could answer, but everyone held their suspicions openly. Corruption. And not in any small amounts either.

Thick bundles of wire fell from the craft, falling down to the street level. Within minutes, great numbers of human personnel began descending without delay. As boots hit the ground, well-armoured soldiers quickly began fanning out, with large rifles held at the ready. They looked ready to take on any threat. With massive night vision goggles adorned to their helmets, and a small arsenal of grenades and other equipment against their waists. Though, it looked like they were headed into some faulty reactor, with hazmat suits underneath all the additional protection. It was only a quick sweep before they could confirm the safety of the landing site.