Chapter 69: Junkertown

Gunfire rang out across the dunes, the hum of engines fighting across the expanse as a slew of cars sped through the empty landscape, the fierce sun scorching down on the irradiated wasteland, the crazed laughter of desert raiders cackling away. The well armoured muscle car bounced as it jumped from a bump, colliding with the dirt, propelling the front end upwards before continuing forward, a motorcycle following soon after. Crashing over the edge of the ridge soon three to four more trucks continued their hunt, fire billowing out from protruding exhaust pipes, spikes adorning the vehicles and Junkers holding onto the outsiders, wielding similar scrap-weapons seen throughout the outback.

The leading car kept skidding forward, gaining speed, but losing their pursuers seemed unlikely, there was no cover in the barren tundra, the driver at the head holding a grimace. He was told there was a high chance of an attack, yet he had hoped the journey would go more smoothly. From the left flank, three motorcycles roared, the furthest ahead leaning back onto their back tire, speeding ahead of the muscle car. As it passed the car, an arm struck from within, grabbing onto the back of the bike, yanking it backwards, as the Junker tumbled, scraping against the floor, colliding into the other two.

A familiar site appeared in the near distance, the pale white biker reappearing from behind large mounds of sand, holding his chain loosely behind, turning to match the speed of an enemy truck, shooting them an evil grin. Some of the Junkers attempted to attack, firing with their pipe weapons, throwing steel spears with explosives attached to the ends, but each missed, Lobo manoeuvring away, tossing the front of his chain towards the truck's hood. Coming to a halt, the biker stopped, a cloud of dust kicked up from the quick movement, grabbing the strained chain with both arms, pulling hard as the truck drove past. In a few moments, the front of the large vehicle flipped onto its back, Lobo exerting all his force, multiple Junkers crushed under the weight, smoke emanating from the engine.

In the further distance, the head muscle car had continued its journey, three vehicles in hot pursuit, firing large amounts of ammunition into the steel hide. Within, [Y/N] held his signature irritated expression, lowering his head, looking through the side-mirror, only for the adornment to be fired on, breaking off. Two of the pursuing cars sped fast, managing to drive adjacent on either side, quickly closing in, squeezing them tight. Atop the cars, Junkers jumped from car to car, one falling, collapsing into the sand at high speeds, boarding the vessel, equipped with their explosive spears. "Rose, get them off." a gruff voice echoed from within, the silver haired assassin disappearing from the back of the car, moving fast through the window, propelling herself towards the attackers, slicing at their bare legs, sending three wastelanders down.

Shoving one off, falling behind the muscle car, another reached for their firearm, only for their hand to explode into a river of red, dropping the scrap-gun, the pommel of the sword crashing into their skull, sending them backwards onto the front window, sliding off the hood. The third earned a quick kick to the sternum, temporarily dazing the Junker, before a low kick sent him to the floor, tumbling from the roof. Quickly ducking to avoid a wave of ammunition, disappearing back into the car. "Kid, you drive?" [Y/N] asked, not looking at the purple-haired girl, "Is that even a question?!" Odessa responded, "Good." the Doomsday responded, kicking open the driver's door, jumping out from the vehicle, unaffected by the quick stop. Stone's daughter leaped into the front of the vehicle, noticing to her left that the Yowie's brother was sleeping peacefully, his hands clasped together, snoring loudly through the firefight.

[Y/N] cracked the bottom of his chin, standing still as one of the trucks drove directly for the giant, Junkers poised to strike, as the hood collided into the man, crumpling into itself, folding around the stranger. He held strong, ripping the junk car in two, two spears hitting into him from behind, exploding upon contact, only seeming to further anger the Yowie, [Y/N] racing to meet the attackers, appearing before them in the blink of an eye. Grabbing both by the head, slamming them against each other, both unconscious, a second car appeared from behind, equipped with a large turret, unloading its supply onto the monster. The Junkers had now started to realise the futility of the situation, unable to harm the man, one amongst them whispered to themselves, "Is this the Yowie?!" another overheard them, shouting "IT'S THE YOWIE, RETREAT!" Others didn't believe the claim at first, as if they would just stumble upon their mythological hero in the middle of nowhere.