Chapter 98: Biohazard Part. 2

(AN: Hope everyone's having a nice Christmas and a good holiday. This chapter is a bit longer than usual, closer to five-thousand words. Also wanted to say a big thanks for getting this story to eighty-thousand reads! Maybe I say it too often it becomes meaningless but I really do appreciate everyone checking out my works every week or so, it means a lot. Next goal is ninety, and then maybe even one-hundred at some point, but we'll see in the future. And as always, enjoy!)

 And as always, enjoy!)

====================

[Blackwatch Orca, Over Kansas Nearing Wichita, Twenty Minutes Earlier]

"Shit!" Reyes shouted, tossing his radio hard against the floor, the small device snapping apart as it hit the ground, "That Chemo's signature is jamming our connection, I can't get a word to the team on the ground." They had been travelling for the last few hours straight with no breaks from Australia, the tension greater every moment longer with no clear indication as to the battle on the ground. The last message the Blackwatch Commander had been able to get out was that they had secured the Doomsday's help. Yet, from the looks of it, Ana's team weren't going to receive the message in time. He wiped his arm across his temple, "Knowing that woman she's going to do something stupid..." Reyes continued, "I hope she doesn't get herself killed."

Across the other side of the Orca, [Y/N], Rose and McCree sat upon the wall mounted chairs. "Ana knows what she's doing. I'm sure they're fine." McCree added with no hesitation, in truth when the sniper was committed to something then there was little anyone could do to stop her. [Y/N] knew this well enough. "Karma, huh?" He added dryly. Reyes shot him a glare, "This isn't the time for that! Reinhardt, Lindholme and Zeigler, as well as tens of Overwatch agents and hundreds of civilians are down there right now..." He continued with an uncommon determination in his voice, "Whether you like her or not she's the last thing down there standing between a full on massacre, and she doesn't have any superpowers like you!"

"Fine." He answered back through gritted teeth, not wanting to get scolded anymore by Reyes, though knowing the mother of his own daughter was down there would have made any man irritable. "How long until we land?" McCree shouted, "Twenty, fifteen if we're lucky." Ray shouted back, reassuming his role as the group's resident ace pilot.

All they could do was sit, or pace, and wait until they arrived, none the wiser to whether or not hundreds of people could have already been potentially dead, or worse. The Outsiders were still in the dark on the worst news, though they hadn't been told much. "Are these things intelligent, Reyes? Or are they just killing at random?" [Y/N] asked. The commander shook his head, "Intelligent enough, they're purposefully seeking out larger settlements to get stronger..." He began, "From what we've gathered so far, the more they kill and consume, the more powerful they become. They're already stronger than we can handle. I don't want to think about what would happen after they've consumed an entire city's population."

The journey was deathly slow, but eventually they could see the steel towers of skyscrapers, the gleaming Arkansas river flowing throughout the city's centre, and ginormous plumes of fire and smoke rising from the ground. Even from their position high up in the sky the destruction below was clear, the trail left behind by the two mutates having cracked the very earth itself. Nothing that stood before them appeared safe. Chemo, the larger one, was just as large as a tall building, wading through the city slowly, crushing whole cars underfoot. Parasite was harder to make out, but that only made it more threatening, not knowing where the monster was.