CHAPTER TEN

Act 1-Chapter 10: The radio

"We keep losing signal, you heard it, right?" Mike asked Lucas and Dustin, who were now sat in the basement after being rushed over to the Wheelers house.

"Yeah, I heard a baby. Mike, Ava, you guys obviously just tapped into a baby monitor. It's probably the Blackburns' next door," Lucas told the two.

"Uh, did that sound like a baby to you? That was Will," Mike tried to convince him. Lucas began to explain that the noise that came out of the walkie talkie was not their friend that they saw get dragged out of the water the day before.

"Lucas! You don't understand. He spoke last night. Words!" Avery interrupted him, "He was singing that weird song the he loves. Even El heard him!" 

"Oh well, if the weirdo heard him then I guess-" Lucas said.

"Are you sure you're on the right channel?" Dustin asked, once again leaving Lucas interrupted.

"I don't think it's about that. I think, somehow, she's channeling him," Mike replied, looking at the group.

"Like Professor X!" Dustin referenced. Avery and Mike both nodded at the statement when Lucas spoke.

"Are you seriously believing this crap?" He asked Dustin.

"I don't know, I mean. Remember when Will fell off his bike and broke his finger? He sounded a lot like that," Dustin replied. Lucas looked around at the group in complete disbelief.

"Did you guys not see what I saw?" Lucas asked, "They pulled Will's body out of the water. He's dead!" Even if there was a chance that he was alive, the mention of him getting pulled out the water still made her upset.

They all sat in silence, not knowing what to say next. They all wanted Will to be alive.

"Well, maybe it's his ghost. Maybe he's haunting us," Dustin suggested. Avery shook her head in disappointment at her friends comment. The boys kept talking about Wills body. El kept fiddling with the supercom to try and hear Will. But it was no usse.

"This isn't going to work. We need to get her to a stronger radio," Avery told the boys.

"Mr. Clarke's heathkit ham shack!" Dustin said. The three of the agreed that that would work and got up to go to school.

"Wait! Guys! I don't think we can walk in with El looking like that!" Avery yelled at them. The three boys turned back around at the two girls and decided that Avery would give her makeup, Mike would get her an outfit and Dustin and Lucas would find a wig for her.

Avery took El into Nancy's room and sat on the bed, with makeup bags in between them. She began to do the girls makeup in front of her.

After a few minutes, El walked out wearing some white socks, a pink dress and a blond wig.

"She looks great!" Avery said.

"Wow! Didn't know you could do makeup like that Ava!" Dustin said in disbelief. The girl next to him hit him round the back of the head and walked towards El, who was now in front of a mirror.

"You look really pretty El," Avery told her.

"Pretty," she whispered, smiling.

■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻

The four of them biked to school, with El on the back of Mike's. They walked in, hoping nothing would happen.

"Okay, remember if anyone sees us, look sad," Mike reminded the group.