CHAPTER FIFTY TWO

Act 4~Chapter 5: The Shrink

After arriving at Ms. Kelley's, the group decided that Max should be the only one to go in rather than all five of them. The fiery red haired girl got out of the car, walking towards the door and looking back at the car, seeing the remaining four giving her an encouraging thumbs up. She smiled and faced the door again, pressing the doorbell and taking a deep breath. After a few seconds, the door opened to reveal a curly, black haired woman who Avery presumed to be Ms. Kelley. The four could not hear the conversation until folding between the two, however continued looking at the two to see if they could understand anything. A few seconds later, the two walked into the house, leaving the four to turn away from the door and wait.

It had been half an hour or so since Max had went into the house. An half an hour of sitting in an awkward, deafening silence after Steve and Dustin had a conversation about Steve's feelings towards Nancy Wheeler with Mike and Avery listening intently to the duos conversation. Max quickly opened the door and stepped into the car.
"What'd she say?" Dustin asked.
"Nothing, just drive," Max demanded.
"Nothing?" Steve repeated.
"Steve, drive," she told him.
"Okay," the older boy replied, slightly taken aback by the girls small outburst of anger. Steve pulled off of the road and followed the directions that Max had given him, slowly realising that she wanted him to take them to was Hawkins High School.

The four of them asked the red haired girl why she wanted them to go to school at six o'clock at night and half way through Spring Break. Max continued to not answer the questions until she finally gave up with them and just answered.
"Ms. Kelley wasn't answering any of my questions, but I found the key for her office, so to answer our questions, we can just look through Chrissy's file to see if she told her anything," she explained.
"So we are breaking into the school?" Avery asked.
"Is it really breaking in if you are trying to save peoples lives?" Max questioned, laughing.
"Yes."
"Oh, come on Ava, it's either this or nothing," the red head said. Avery shrugged, however not being opposed to the idea.

They were around five minutes away from the school when they heard a muffled voice from inside Dustin's backpack. Dustin got out his walkie talkie and lifted up the antenna, hearing the familiar voice of Lucas Sinclair.
"Dustin, do you copy?" Lucas asked.
"Lucas? Where the hell have you been?" Dustin questioned, angrily.
"Just listen," he began, "Are you guys looking for Eddie?"
"Yeah, and we found him, no thanks to you," Dustin told him.
"You found him?" the boy on the other end of the walkie asked.
"He's at a boathouse on Coal Mill Road. Don't worry. He's safe," the curly haired boy explained.
"You guys know he killed Chrissy, right?" Lucas informed them.
"That's bullshit," Dustin began, "Eddie tried to save Chrissy."
"Then why do all the cops say he did it?" Lucas asked.
Dustin went to say something in the walkie when Avery leant forward and snatched it off of him.
"Eddie was in the wrong place at the complete wrong time, but we promise, it's not him," Avery explained.
"Ava? When did you get back from California?" Lucas asked, ignoring what the girl had just said.
"Lucas, you're so behind it's ridiculous, okay?" Max said, snatching the walkie from Avery, "Just meet us at school. We'll explain later."
"I... I can't," he began, "I think some real bad shit's about to go down."
"What are you talking about? What bad shit?" Max asked, leaning forwards so Steve and Dustin could hear along with Avery and Mike.
"Sinclair!" the five of them faintly heard on the other end of the line.
"Lucas? Lucas?" Max questioned, trying to regain the his attention, but not getting a response.

The car eventually pulled up a slight distance away from Hawkins High School as to not be caught by anyone and snook towards the front entrance, using the keys to unlock it and using their flashlights to try and make their way to Ms. Kelley's office.

Although Avery had been to the school before, the first thing she realised was how much smaller it was than Lenora Hills High School. It was very similar to the school the party had spent the last three years in, just slightly bigger to fit a few more classrooms. The group were walking around the school, looking for the councillors office when once again Dustin's walkie went off again.
"Dustin, do you copy?" Robin asked.
"Yeah, I copy," he replied.
"So, Nancy's a genius," she began, cutting straight to the chase, "Vecna's first victims daye back all the way to 1959. Her shot in the dark was a bullseye."
"Okay, that's totally bonkers, but I can't really talk right now."
"What are you doing?" she asked.
"Breaking and entering the school to retrieve confidential and extremely personal files," he said calmly.
"Can you repeat that?" Robin asked.
"Just get your ass over here, stat. We'll explain everything," Dustin demanded, turning off the walkie talkie. After a few minutes, they found the counsellors office. The five of them quickly walked over to the door, Max putting the key in the lock and opening the door, allowing the others to walk in and look for Chrissy's file in the large filing cabinet resting on the wall. Steve and Dustin had an irrelevant conversation about something whilst Max, Avery and Mike looked through the cabinets.
"Guys?" Avery said, finding something.
"Did you find it?" Steve asked.
"No, but what was that other guy that got killed called?" she asked, recognising a name on one of the files.
"Fred Benson," Steve explained, "Why?"
"He must have been seeing Ms. Kelley too. He's got a file," she said pulling it out of the cabinet as Max pulled out another one, presumably Chrissy's.
The red haired girl sat at the desk, the other four looking over her shoulder as she investigated Chrissy's file.
"Can I see Fred's file?" she asked after a moment of looking at the cheerleaders. She looked over the two of them, seeing a familiar link in them all. She zoned out, clearly thinking or remembering something.
"Max! Max!" Dustin shouted, trying to regain her attention. Max zoned out ignoring what her friends were saying. The four of them looked at one another in confusion, not understanding what was happening. It was a while of shouting for her when she woke up. She told them what happened and lead them to where she thougjt she had walked to, stopping in their tracks when Nancy and Robin appeared, running down the hall, when Max stopped at the end of a corridor. The six of them surrounded the red head, listening to what she was explaining.
"It was here. Right here," she explained.
"A grandfather clock?" Nancy asked, wanting a full understanding.
"It was so real," she said, sounding like she was holding back tears, "And then, when I got closer, suddenly I just... I woke up."
"It was like she was in a trance or something," Dustin explained to Robin and Nancy, "Exactly what Eddie said happened to Chrissy."
Max turned around, panicked, "That's not even the bad part," she said, "follow me."

Max lead the group of six back towards Ms. Kelley's office, she picked up Fred and Chrissy's file, looking over them one more time.
"Fred and Chrissy, they both came to Ms. Kelley for help. Uh, they both were having headaches, bad headaches that wouldn't go away. And then... then the nightmares, trouble sleeping. They'd wake up in a cold sweat. Then they started seeing things. Bad things. From their pasts. These visions, they just... they kept on getting work and worse, until eventually... everything ended."
"Vecna's curse," Robin said, realising the points Max was making.
"Chrissy's headaches started a week ago. Fred's, six days ago. I've been having mine for five days," Max told them, "I don't know how long I have. All I know is that, for Fred and Chrissy, they both died less than 24 hours after their first vision. And I just saw that goddamn clock, so... looks like I'm gonna die tomorrow."

That's when it hit Avery. She had been having headaches ever since she got back to Hawkins. Three days ago. The nosebleeds that started earlier that day. The nightmare she had the night prior about the one thing she never wanted to relive again. Her awaking in a cold sweat this morning. It all lead to one thing. No matter what happened, she would be one of Vecna's victims.

(A/N: Heyyy! Kind of a big chapter. A lot of this is set in the car so ignore that. Vecna's plans have finally been revealed, and it's gonna get good. If you enjoyed this chapter, make sure to vote and comment! I hope you have/had a good day. Remember to eat and drink enough and I love you all :D)