CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

Act 2-Chapter 8: The map

Joyce, Mike and Avery were stood around Will, who was sat at his desk, scribbling on one of the vine drawings from the day before. When he finished, he put the crayon down and stared at it. Their mother leant towards Will and pointed to the drawing.

"Is this where you saw him? Is this where you saw Hopper?" Joyce asked her son.

"I think so, yeah," Will said.

Joyce picked up the picture and began looking around the house for where the picture fit in.

"Mom! It's here!" Avery shouted to her mother, pointing to a matching drawing on the wall. Mrs. Byers and Mike ran over to her and placed the scribbled drawing from earlier onto the wall to see if it matched up. It was perfect.

"Okay, so Hopper is here?" Joyce asked.

"Yeah, so now we just need to find out where here is?" Mike told them.

"Right."

"Did Hopper say anything before he left yesterday?" Avery asked her mother, crossing her arms.

"Something about vines?" Joyce told them. Before she could say anything else, the three of them heard a car pull into the drive way. They all ran over to the front window to see the mysterious person, praying it was Hopper. Much to their suprise, it was Bob.

Joyce left to talk to Bob and politely tell him to leave so they could figure out the mystery. The two kids were left in silence. After a few minutes, Mrs. Byers walked back in with Bob following behind her. Bob walked into the living room, admiring all of the drawings around the house.

"You drew all these yourself?" He asked, turning around to face Will, who walked in when he heard the car. Will nodded in response, "Why, exactly?"

"I told you the rules. No questions, okay?" Joyce told him. Joyce led Bob over to the drawing and drew a red X on it.

"That's the objective. Find the X," Mike explained to him.

"Yeah? What's at the X? Pirate treasure?" Bob joked, chuckling.

"Bob! No questions,"

Bob asked to talk to Joyce and took her into another room, leaving the three children alone again. 

Bob then walked out, saying something.

"Okay, I get it! That's Lake Jordan!" He said walking over to part of the vines, "And if that's Lake Jordan, then you can probably find. Yeah, that's Sattler's quarry! And if you just follow it naturally, it moves to the Eno River! And there it is! That's the Eno, do you see it? Okay, so the lines aren't roads. But they act like roads. And they act like roads cause if you follow them, you'll see they don't go over water. And that's the giveaway! Don't you get it? It's not a puzzle, it's a map. It's a map of Hawkins! Right, Will?"

Bob looked over at Will, who said nothing and just stared at him with his mouth slightly open in shock.

■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻■◻

"All right. I'm 3.6 inches, what do you got?" Bob asked, writing things down and measuring a map.

"I'm not sure. Ava?" Mike shouted, holding a tape measure.

"Twenty one feet, four inches!" Avery yelled to Bob.

"What about, Tippecanoe to Danford Creek?" Bob asked them.