Sleeper

Walking into the house, I had just dealt with Holden and by the time I got home, and my mind caught up with everything, I didn't know what to think or feel.

I stopped inside the door and closed it behind me. It was around one in the morning now. 

Nick walked out of the kitchen with a coffee mug in hand, he had tears in his eyes but held them back and his face went emotionless soon as I stepped in the door.

"Hey you're home early." He told me glancing at the clock.

"Where's Olivia and Spike?" I told him without skipping a beat.

"Olivia is upstairs in her room sleeping." Nick told me making me nod. 

"What about Spike?" I asked glancing around. "Is he here?"

"No, he's out." Nick said moving into the living room and sat down, setting his drink on the coffee table where the TV was playing some kind of show. "At least he was when Livy and I got home last night."

"Any idea where he went?"  I asked. 

"I don't know, a creature of the night Vi." Nick told me sipping on his drink. "He's probably out creaturing."

I frowned glancing out the windows. 

"Why? Why what happened?" Nick asked. 

"Is daddy in trouble?" I heard and turned seeing Olivia standing on the stairs in her jammies and rubbing sleep from her eyes. She looked at me. 

I sighed seeing the look on her face and frowned deeper. 

"I hope not baby."

----

Nick and I moved into the kitchen where I poured coffee into a couple mugs and leaned over the counter, telling Nick what happened. 

Olivia was in the living room watching her morning cartoons and drinking orange juice. 

"Why would a vampire lie about who made him?" Nick asked drinking his coffee.

"I'm not saying I believe him." I told him. 

"You just don't want to because he's Spike and your mate." Nick said rolling his eyes in annoyance.

I gave him a stern look trying to ignore his remark. 

"Daddy can't be the one doing this." Olivia told us making me look at her, she looked at me innocently. "Right?"  She came over and climbed up onto a stool with us handing me her cup for a refill.

"Of course not,  he couldn't even if he wanted to." I told her.

"Why?" 

"Well for one thing, your father has a chip." I told her being as gentle as I could she tilted her head at me in confusion. "It's a piece of computer tech in his head so when he tries to hurt a human it stops him." 

"Do all vampires have those?" She asked.

"No baby." I said quietly, shaking my head. "I'll explain it more when your a little older."

Olivia frowned at me a little, making me feel bad. She was only a kid so she didn't fully understand. 

"Maybe the chip isn't working anymore." Nick said making me look at him.

"That's impossible I would know." I retorted. "I've seen it working."

"Or is that just what Spike wants you to think?" 

"You think it's an act?" I asked raising an eyebrow. 

"I don't really know." Nick said admittedly. "And neither do you."