Chapter 9

Abby made her way over to Craig. He was not in great condition. His breathing was slowing at an alarming rate. Firefighters were on the other side sawing through the car's wreckage as careful as possible.

While they were working on Craig, Lawrence was in the back checking on Butters. He was unconscious but other than that he seemed mostly okay. He put a neck brace on him and let the firefighters cut a hole to where he was.

He turned over to Kyle who was now unconscious. Lawrence checked his pulse, it was there but slowing. He placed several gauze on the wound to slow the blood and held pressure. Luckily the metal was keeping the blood loss low but he was bleeding for quite sometime. Lawrence held pressure as he waited and rushed firefighters.

The firefighters were able to saw and jaw the metal around Craig away while leaving the punctured part in him. Abby placed a neck brace on Craig and then he was craftily loaded onto a gurney. She climbed out of the car and made her way with the gurney into an ambulance. Abby and another EMT worked quickly as Craig's stats started to plummet. Please god let him make it. Abby thought. As these thoughts filled her head, Craig flat lined.

Abby: "He's flatlining. Starting compressions."

Abby started compressions, but there was no change.

Abby: "Nothing, get the paddles. Charge to 300. Clear!"

Bjzzzt. Still flatlined.

Abby: "Charge again. 350. Clear!"

Bjzzzt. Still nothing.

Abby: "Come on, come on! CHARGE AGAIN! CLEAR!"

Bjzzzzzt. Beep beep beep beep. It was fast but stable. The other EMT pushed some meds which balanced his vitals. Thank god. All of the responders felt extra stressed about the scenarios. Especially since they all saw who caused it. These kids were 16 years old and some of them are dying, it was a sad and scary situation that not a lot of these first responders have experienced in this small, quiet rocky town.

Finally, the firefighters were able to cut Kyle out of the car. He too was loaded onto a gurney and rushed to an ambulance. Lawrence and another EMT worked on him to keep him stable. He started bleeding faster from his wound and mouth. We are almost there, you can make it.