12. Dragonflies

By the last few warm days of the year before the last winter would pass to welcome the birthday of his child, the unborn boy in Seonghwa's stomach developed enough to make himself noticeable. Seonghwa's stomach started to be in his way yet offered an amusing surface to support books on while he laid down. His back often ached from the additional weight and Hongjoong barely left his side anymore to brew him potions.

The magic of the sorcerer was so noticeable now that Seonghwa sometimes grew doubtful despite confirmed of the truth. Fires burst from the child at random, surprising Seonghwa when his own magic flared to catch the hit. Occasionally, he got nauseous when the baby's magic went rampant and confused itself in its growth. It happened outside once and Jongho had carried him back to his room while Yeosang fetched Hongjoong and the healer.

Still, this pregnancy went smoothly. Seonghwa didn't fall ill and his court relieved him of his usual duties. As everyone tended to him, Seonghwa fully focused on caring for his child.

The third time when he got booted with a zap of fire and staggered in the middle of the corridor, Yunho huffed. The entire pulk of them was on the way from the gardens inside after watching each other spar. While Jongho picked Seonghwa up and Hongjoong grabbed his hand to heal his aches, Yunho threatened the roundness of his stomach with a stern finger.

"Listen up in there. This is your father speaking. If you don't stop hurting our beloved prince, we will have a serious talk with each other as soon as you're out, understood? You are one of many men in his life; get in line." Yunho nudged his fist against Seonghwa's side, pretending to throw a punch. The elf giggled. Long hair curled around his elegant ears as he rested in Jongho's arms.

"I wonder if he listens to people who can't do magic. Is the arrogance inherent to mages or to anyone using it?" Wooyoung pondered. When Hongjoong struck him with a frosty glare, the gryphon-born stuck his tongue out at him.

"He better listens to one of us. Can't have him hurting the one who carries him. Are you alright?" Yunho dedicated his attention to Seonghwa. With big, worried eyes that mirrored Buddy so endearingly, he blinked at him.

Seonghwa leaned into his palm tucking his hair back.

"Thank you for keeping him in check. Sometimes I believe to carry a dragon."

"I never saw a dragon before," Mingi uttered, awed. Jongho, on the other hand, flared an alarmed orange when he pieced together the origin of Seonghwa's pregnancy with the joke.

Yeosang giggled at the two.

"How about a ride to the lake? Nature will calm him and the water can ease the strain on your back," Hongjoong suggested. When Seonghwa glanced among the others, they nodded back in cheer.

"Why not?" The elf smiled. Everyone else took off for preparations and fetching food and blankets. Only Jongho and Yeosang remained with Seonghwa. They shared a cosy silence while they listened to Buddy barking around the castle.

Once everything was organised, they piled into two carts and made their way through the forest. It burned in reds and oranges like a fire. Seonghwa sat close to Mingi, describing how the leaves assumed the colour of light and how the sun made them glow like the amber of the depths. In awe, the demon imagined his own version of the gorgeous landscape.

At the lake that had become their favourite hiding spot, Buddy went to chase the dragonflies while Yunho dipped a tentative toe into the water.

"Too cold for me already," he grimaced. Next to him, Yeosang figured out how to give his leaves an autumn hue without losing them. A charming beech coached him and Jongho learned along on the ground, although he had no leaves to discolour.