47. False Lies

Harsh breaths cast white clouds into the frosty air. The forests were dark, shielding the moon from view as evergreens cast the fleeing group in shadows. Their hearts galloped with the sound of their steps across the crunching snow.

Seonghwa clutched to his unicorn, grounding himself with every breath. He wanted to unwind, wanted to relax his wavering body, but he knew he would slip off and tumble to the earth. Since he had to stay resilient, he dug his fingernails into his palms and shook himself awake with the alert of pain. Mingi kept his head buried in Seonghwa's shoulder. The demon bit his lip to hold back his fear; so desperately wished to cry out for the others to help their elf. He could feel Seonghwa's pain, but he stuck to his promise.

So proud of him, Seonghwa clutched a hand to Mingi's on his stomach. Everything inside there hurt, and he feared for his unborn child, but if they rested now, the orcs would find them and then everything was over. Despite being so worn down, Hongjoong swished his magic through the snow behind them, disguising their traces and scent.

Wooyoung whimpered on the goat. They tied a hasty bandage around his thigh, no more than a scrap of fabric to stop the bleeding. He needed urgent care, but he was out of commission to fly ahead and beg for reinforcements. As was San. And as was Hongjoong, drained from the fight and the illusion that shrouded them in safety even now.

"Hwa... We need a break," San gritted between his teeth. He wanted to march on stubbornly, but his injuries slowed him and the others were none the better. Freya was pale as a sheet in front of Yunho on the bear and Hongjoong almost passed out on Jongho's shoulder.

Helpless, Seonghwa glanced around the forest. It offered little shelter, and the group was still far from the borders to safety. If they rested, this night might be the last.

"Please," Mingi also pressed. His voice was choked with dread, painfully yanking on Seonghwa's conscience.

"We'll rest," he muttered to the demon, assuring him. He raised his voice but was cautious not to alert their far followers. Hopefully, they lost their trail, at least momentarily.

"Everyone, huddle down. We will rest for as long as we dare."

Relief reflected on their faces. Yunho slipped from the bear first, largely in one piece aside from some minor bruises. He helped Freya curl up against the bark of a mighty tree. The elf tried to sink into the ground, to find safety from those tormenting her. When Yunho asked her to make a fire, she gathered the nearby sticks with an almost mechanical response.

Yunho made sure Wooyoung was cushioned by the soft snow before he came over to Seonghwa and Mingi. San hissed when Yeosang checked on his wing. Face pale and with his shadowed eyes closed, Hongjoong waned where Jongho laid him down, wrapped in his cloak.

Mingi hesitated when Yunho helped him from Seonghwa's unicorn.

"Seonghwa..." He pleaded once more, begging him not to keep the secret, but Seonghwa was too worried about them to care about himself. He never saw his husbands so battered and pained and concern tore his insides asunder. He couldn't rest before they felt better.

"Have an eye on him. I will circle around and make sure no one followed us," Seonghwa smiled at Yunho, a master at hiding his own pain. Still, Yunho spotted the tear in his armour, the blood soaking the fabric.

"You're hurt."

"It's minor," Seonghwa assured, and it was, compared to the throbs of pain from his abdomen. Though reluctant, Yunho believed him. He dragged Mingi from Seonghwa's side with gentle conviction and made him sit by the fire. They left Seonghwa to his devices as Yunho helped San patch up his wing.