34. Echo of the Past

Seonghwa intended to recover only for a day or two and then find San to keep his promise, but as usual, other events surprised them. A letter from the third prince asked San to visit the Vault of Heaven to welcome his cousin's first-born, and he was gone for a week. In the meantime, Seonghwa was swamped by his duties during the day. In the nights, Hongjoong came to find him. Sometimes, he pushed Seonghwa down straight away, other times, he just barely held back until he got done feeding Aodhán. The mage was eager to triumph, and he made use of the days where he was the only one indulging. Mingi had no more interest in chasing after such a goal. Since San could become a valid competition, Hongjoong pursued to impregnate Seonghwa before that.

Ever so in love with his possessive sorcerer, Seonghwa indulged him every night. Sometimes, he left afterwards to cuddle Wooyoung or Yunho in their sleep. Hongjoong never bothered, sleeping soundly as his magic recovered his lacking energy.

The day before San returned, Seonghwa wanted to ready for their promise, but Seungyoun crossed his path with pressing news. While Seonghwa lingered, the angel fled to the back of his mind.

"My apologies, Your Majesty. Your father implored me to hand this to you in a hurry," Seungyoun winced when he picked up on the frown knitting between Seonghwa's brows. Immediately, the elf whipped his eyes away from San's door. Their yearning pulled them together and drew them apart like the tides. Seonghwa was going mad to be held in his embrace, yet withered under those intense eyes.

"It's fine. It must have been critical," Seonghwa replied, back to his usual grace as he accepted the letter. Seungyoun handed him an opener.

"It's about the former prince Yongguk, Your Majesty," Seungyoun announced humbly, but nervosity scratched in his voice. When Seonghwa slowed in his movements, they exchanged a hesitant glance. They shared the same apprehension.

Seungyoun had been with Seonghwa for a long time, almost half of his life. He knew Yongguk better than many other servants, and he knew how delicate Seonghwa's feelings about him had become.

The letter opener cracked the sigil, and Seonghwa retrieved the note. It wasn't from his father, for his order travelled only orally. This painfully familiar handwriting was that of Seonghwa's brother himself.

"I need to sit," Seonghwa mumbled, eyes glued to the paper without seeing a word. His legs were shaky, and it had nothing to do with the sore yet fulfilled feeling of his abdomen.

"Right away," Seungyoun muttered as he guided Seonghwa by his elbow. He sunk into the alcove at a window looking out over the snowed-in landscape. As if he were a child again, hiding from the scary wild dogs of the forests, Seonghwa drew his legs to his body. He exhaled before he trained his blurring sight on the letters.

Seonghwa, Yongguk wrote.

Some time has passed since we last saw each other. Though we elves age unhurriedly, time seems to fly by, even in exile. My new surroundings occupied me the way you wanted, as did my family. Circe is doing well. She asks me to bid you her greetings.

Though I don't share her warmth, I wanted to write to you. Word reached us about your coronation and your child. It seems you are untouched by the things that happened, favoured by both father and the stars while I rot in the distance.

But I lost my chance to be where you are now. Brandished a traitor for life the same way you are brandished, yet you don't seem to care about that much. Perhaps it was always in your nature. Beloved, since you are so willing.

I can't wish you well, for you became the person I swore to loathe. Yet I have no choice but to trust in your rule upon me. You decide over my life, now more than ever.