60. Period of Peace

Spring arrived without an attack from the orcs. The kingdom celebrated Aodhán's third birthday and he was gifted a puppy to play with. Morana made her first steps and eagerly grew up to tend to her own pet one day. Though Seonghwa never believed himself in false security, they entered a period of rest. The nymphs informed them of any movement from the orcs and the diplomatic talks with the titans came along. Soon, Seonghwa would get to visit them and hope for their support in his cause.

Until then, he was busy with the inner matters of the empire and his family. The Heavenly King was looking to hand down the throne to his eldest son and San and Seonghwa were invited to his coronation. Morana often hid away from the maids trying to rein her in and Aodhán already sighed like an old man to find his sister. He learned magic quickly, fascinated by its workings, and Yunho often joined his classes with Hongjoong, awed by what his son could do even when he mistrusted magic.

As small matters kept them occupied, Seonghwa was concerned with the mortality of some of his husbands. Yeosang, Jongho and Hongjoong were undying as he. San and Mingi aged slowly, but they aged and time sped away from Wooyoung and Yunho every day. Once, while the kids were downstairs with the maids to play with the kittens, Seonghwa addressed it.

"The seasons pass in a flash. We are nearing four years since our first meeting," he hummed. His delicate fingers swirled his chalice with wine.

With big eyes, Yunho and Buddy stared at each other as they counted the years. Time passed quickly and its grains seemed to run faster and faster.

"Our duties are never-ending and every day is filled with excitement, making us forget that some of us age differently than others."

Hongjoong inspired the thought when he mentioned Seonghwa's appearance never changed. But Wooyoung lost the last of the childish softness to his cheeks and Yunho often whimpered about a hurting back or slow healing. The two were his main concern.

Jongho's crystals partook in the conversation, showing his thoughtful concern.

"Is there a need to fret already?"

"Yunho and Wooyoung will wither from us unless we eternalise their youth. Though they have many more years to live, the later I offer eternity, the more ailments your weakened bodies will pertain."

Huddled into his wings as if he could hide away from age, Wooyoung blinked at Seonghwa from owlish eyes. Hongjoong's head rested on his fully healed thigh as the sorcerer played with some gem.

"You can make people immortal?"

Seonghwa chuckled at the awe in the innocent question.

"It's an elven secret, yes. Though all elves are born with near-eternal lifespans, the celestial elves found a way to exist beyond the borders of time. I cannot die unless slain and while each of you is free to live and die as you were born to, I extend this offer to you. Though I would never demand you to stay by my side forever, it is a gift I wish to bestow upon those who seek it. It comes from my adoration for you."

Yunho gaped at him, hearing that detail for the first time. Though hidden knowledge since it involved only a few rare cases outside of the elven race, it was a priceless gift.

"You can just do that? There is no otherworldly magical rule keeping you from it?" Wooyoung asked. He had his talons in his hands, swaying back and forth in nervous contemplation. Seonghwa would never put him in harm's way, but discarding one's mortality was a difficult choice. They never questioned death and it was natural to their lives.

"What about the others? Is it only us two who will die?"

"Early, yes," Seonghwa nodded. "The seraphim and the demons get many centuries old, though the same offer applies to them. I would never wish to attend your funerals when I don't need to, so this is my tribute. Think about it and tell me once you are ready. Only love awaits you in the long future and if you ever grow tired of such a life, a blade may still kill you."