22. Memories at the Lake

Once Seonghwa was seated on his cushion to help with lingering bruising, Yeosang and Jongho climbed onto the cart with him. The former served as a playmate for Aodhán, describing the trees and the skies the baby stared up to with fascinated babbles. Jongho made sure no one would fall off as he sunk into shape at Seonghwa's side.

The others rode their mounts. Wooyoung whistled for Mulberry and San was seated atop his graceful white stag. Mingi took a moment to find his goat, but she was receptive to his blindness. Their eyes were a matching onyx as she bumped her head into his side to announce herself. With a deep chuckle, Mingi caressed between her horns.

"There you are. Nice to meet you again," he told his horned friend. He swung up his leg just as Yunho came up behind him to offer a guiding hand. Smooth, Mingi came to sit on the tall goat's back and Yunho's baffled hand landed on his thigh. Awed, he looked up at the pleased demon.

"Nice mounting, friend!" Yunho cheered with a pat on the demon's thick leg, then he clapped at Buddy to come along. As usual, their traditional human preferred his horse over anything else.

Seonghwa jostled Aodhán so he could see well, then the cart trotted away. The two bears' paws thudded softly on the forest path.

Everyone enjoyed nature on their way. San and the baby soaked up the sun and Yunho kept bringing over twigs or cones for Aodhán to hold and play with. Since he was more elf than human, nature told its story the way it did for the golems. No instinct to gnaw on everything he got into his hands drove him, and his eyes sparkled up at Yunho whenever his father leaned over the edge of the cart.

Every time, Yunho was flustered.

"He looks so much like you," he whispered once. "So beautiful."

"I might have fallen for his eyes. I won't be able to deny him anything," Yeosang agreed. With a warm chuckle, Seonghwa caressed his son's soft cheek.

"He captivates us all."

The rest of the ride was harmonious. Wooyoung babbled to Mulberry and Hongjoong asked once if Seonghwa needed more pillows. If he were in charge, Seonghwa would travel on clouds. When the crown prince assured him he was just fine, the mage clicked his tongue. He muttered about Seonghwa underestimating how he deserved to be spoiled.

The lake welcomed them with the lush of spring. It wasn't quite green in every tree yet, but flower buds blossomed through the earth and the faeries rustled from their winter sleep. When they came to a halt at the shoreline, the early spirits of the lake came to buzz around them in a flurry. Though they didn't get as old as elves, they watched Seonghwa visit this lake for a long time. When they recognised him in the child on his arm, they came to sit on his shoulders in delight.

"Oh, my! Look how lovely he is!" One chirped, cupping her chin in her hands where she landed on Aodhán's chest. Her little feet kicked in the air and she wore a tulip as a hat. When Aodhán ogled her with big eyes, she snickered.

"His hair is bright like the sun! It would match violets so well," another one sang.

The one on Seonghwa's shoulder turned her tiny head to study his fond smile.

"He's yours, isn't he? What a joy! Our marvellous prince had a child while we slept," she rejoiced. When she fluttered off, her glimmering faery dust had Aodhán grab for the air. The shimmering thrill sparkled in his eyes.

"Tell your tribes about it. Soon, I will visit all the major towns to greet my people. I would love to see you there."

"You will!" She promised. Together with the dragonflies, they buzzed around the lake, cheering and celebrating for Aodhán. They brought gifts, as well. A flower crown of intricately woven violets, berries for Aodhán to nibble on, and sweet snowdrops to tuck into Seonghwa's hairdo. Their giggles twinkled like glitter and made the others chuckle. Only the bears swiped their curious paws at them with a bit too much might, sending them whirling through the air.