34. Storytime

fun fact: i'm posting this at about 3 in the morning. i post most of my chapters at the ungodly hours of night lmao

...

The breeze is cool at the Rito Stable. After another two days of travel your trio had arrived in the Tabantha Region in the evening, just as the sun was beginning to set. You breathed in a deep sigh of fresh air. It smelled like grass and fruit. Persephone attempted to eat some berries off of a bush beside the building.

"I just fed you some apples, you act like you're starving," you chastise her, though it's all in jest, "now c'mon, let's get you to your stall."

Ahead of the Stable is a series of suspended bridges connecting tall skinny islands. The main island at the center of the lake holds Rito Villager, the home of the Rito people. At the very top of the island sits the Divine Beast Vah Medoh, with its wings spread wide open.

You glance over and see Sidon standing there with his mouth agape. You laugh as you move to stand beside him. He's gazing up at the village.

"Sooo," you say with a smile, "what do you think?"

"It's breathtaking," he replies, a grin on his face, "I've read about Rito Village of course, we trade with them. But the documents are nothing compared to seeing it with my own eyes."

You grasp his hand and chuckle, "you haven't even been inside the village yet. C'mon, let's go meet the elder."

Once Zelda is done speaking with the stable hands you begin your walk across the bridges. Each of the small islands you walk across are lush, with quaint ponds and tall pine trees that tower above you. As you pass by Rito guards they nod their heads in respect. At the end of the final bridge is the entrance to the village. You smile at the goddess statue that's been decorated in flowers, likely by the Rito children.

The path through the village winds around the rock pillar and upwards. As you walk up the stairs you pass the Swallow's Roost which is the local inn, then The Slippery Falcon which is the general store, and finally the Brazen Beak which is the clothing store.

"Oh, we'll need to get you clothing for cold weather," you say to Sidon as you walk, "I have a feeling we'll have to travel through the Hebra Region for the trials here."

Beyond the local stores are the homes of the locals. A group of young children, each a different vibrant color, run past you down the stairs. They giggle and chirp and seem to be singing a tune. The same song is being played on an instrument.

You grin when you look up and see Kass playing his accordion near the fence. You give the blue Rito a wave, and he bows his head at you and the princess with a smile. You assume the little Ritos that ran past you were his children, if you remembered correctly he had five young girls.

In one of the homes you see Harth, a Rito with dark grey and black feathers. You'd met him when you'd initially shown up to reclaim Medoh. Harth had injured himself after being attacked by the Divine Beast's defense mechanisms. You were glad to see him faring better nowadays.

Next you pass by Teba's home. Within you see the white Rito himself talking to a Rito woman with lavender feathers. If you remember correctly, that's his wife, Saki. A much smaller white Rito runs around the home and flaps his feathers happily- that's his son, Tulin.

You'll say hello soon, but first you must greet the elder.

Kaneli lives in the topmost hut of the Rito Village. The elder Rito was large, his features resembling that of an owl. When he wasn't overseeing the training of the Rito warriors he was training the children in song and monitoring their flight lessons. As you approached his home you were able to see that he was sitting in a rocking chair, relaxed.