12. The Scourge of Hyrule Castle

The nighttime was eerily quiet as you crept through the fields of central Hyrule. There was no moon in the sky, you assumed it was in its new moon phase, so you used the dark sky as a cover while you snuck through the tall grass. The closer you got to the castle, the more daunting the task ahead grew.

There was no doubt in your mind that the castle would be festering with nasty monsters, tough ones too. Also, all the guardian stalkers around would prove to be a challenge as well. You'd have to get through all of that and then face off with Calamity Ganon himself. You pushed those thoughts away for now, however, knowing that dwelling on that and growing anxious would serve you no favors.

You paused in a pavilion of sorts while surveying the area. The castle was straight ahead, a couple of hundred feet in front of you. The spot felt oddly familiar. The circular pavement beneath your was cracked and chipped beyond recognition, but you could tell that it used to be apart of a path that would go straight north- right to Hyrule Castle. Four shattered pillars were on the sides, and trickling water surrounded the ruined steps.

You stood up straight and gazed up at the towering castle north of you before an odd feeling sent shockwaves throughout you. Stumbling back, you looked around at where you stood once more and went wide-eyed, nostalgia flooding your senses.

Shutting your eyes, your thoughts flew back in time, and when you opened them again the pavilion was fixed. The sun was shining and the sky was a sweet blue. You were on bended knee, and before you was Princess Zelda.

"Hero of Hyrule, chosen by the sword that seals the darkness... you have shown unflinching bravery and skill in the face of darkness and adversity," she spoke, one hand held above you and eyes closed as she continued on.

She sounded so monotone. So emotionless. You realized that this was before your friendship had blossomed when you'd first become the Hylian Champion and her appointed knight, "and have proven yourself worthy of the blessings of the Goddess Hylia. Whether skyward bound, adrift in time, or steeped in the glowing embers of twilight, the sacred blade is forever bound to the soul of the Hero. We pray for your protection... and we hope that- that the two of you will grow stronger together, as one..."

She paused her speech, breathing out a shaky, almost sad sigh. Her hand fell to her side and you glanced up at her briefly to see her solemn expression cast to the floor. When she realized you were staring she quickly raised her hand back up to continue on her speech. It was then that you realized that the four other champions were stood in the pavilion as well, watching your ceremony.

Zelda's words faded into the background as you tuned in to what the champions were saying instead. "Gee, this is uplifting," Daruk sighed, bringing one of his big hands to rub at the back of his head awkwardly, "She's making it sound like we already lost."

"Wasn't this your idea?" Revali scoffed, side-eyeing Daruk before turning his attention back to you, "You're the one who wanted to designate the appointed knight with all the ceremonial pomp, grandeur, and nonsense we could muster! And if you ask me, the whole thing does seem to be overkill. I think I'm on the same page as the princess regarding... this girl."

Urbosa rolled her eyes at the Rito's words, shaking her head as she placed a hand on her hips, "Oh, give it a rest. That girl is a living reminder of her own failures. Well, at least that's how the princess sees her."

You noticed Mipha shuffle her feet nervously, but not raise her voice or contribute to the conversation.

Your eyebrows furrowed, and you sensed that even a hundred years ago you knew that portrayal of you couldn't have been accurate. You and the princess both had separate struggles, you were by no means a perfect person, especially not with your upbringing. Learning that Zelda had a disdain for your talents was a deep cut. You'd seen her as a friend for so long and were sworn to protect her, and knowing that for some time she hadn't felt the same hurt you... a lot. You got past it, eventually becoming the best of friends until the fallout of the Calamity. Reliving this memory, however, made your mouth feel dry and hurt your heart.