In too deep (Randal/Daichi & Jesper)

In too deep

The World Cup didn't exactly go the way he wanted it to go. That can only be true, when he gazes at the silver medal around his neck. Randal wasn't even on the starting roster, yet he can feel his phone ringing in his sweatshirt pocket. Frankfurt is a different city to Nantes, and he should probably be happy to feel comfortable in Germany, but everything is different with what happened in Qatar.

Jesper's lips on his after the second group game, against Denmark. It wasn't planned at all, they just had to shake hands or hug each other, being good teammates. Okay, they didn't follow the usual rule at all. Randal knows that Jesper is in a relationship with Hauge, but he also knows that Jesper needs support, given the distance between him and Jens-Petter. (Randal has seen Timmy comforting him too often after games or practices to know that Jesper likes to be in the company of a comforting presence, when there aren't the shadow of reporters above them).

Randal doesn't need all that, because he grew up in Bondy, and he absorbed everything from the customs of his neighborhood. He only asks for help when it's really necessary, so he's going to grieve the silver medal on his own, and try to get back properly into the mindset of the Bundesliga, the Champions League returning in February. He can't let himself be defeated, because people are counting on him, and it's impossible for him to have come back with the silver medal only to be the shadow of himself.

Going back to the Frankfurt's dressing room is a different experience, but Randal really has no choice but to face the aftermath of the final and get on with his life. There are far too many hands patting his shoulder, either in an effort to comfort him or just to congratulate him on France's run, but it would almost be nice, if it weren't for the memories of Jesper near him. Shit.

''Kolo?''

Daichi's voice rings in his ears, and Randal is still surprised to hear his name pronounced by his teammate's Japanese accent, but somehow he missed it. Maybe he needed it more than expected. Randal turns to face him, and maybe he feels his heart melt for a short second, seeing Daichi's smile. He shouldn't cling so much to the other players at his club, but it's stronger than him, he may have fallen too much into the family side of Frankfurt...

''I missed you...''

His arms wrap around Daichi, and Randal feels a little bit better than when he arrived, even though his medal is tapping against his chest and reminding him of the terrible penalty shootout... Everything should be easier, and yet he only feels better with Daichi's comforting presence against him. Okay, he understands Jesper and Timmy a little better now...

The End