TWENTY-FIVE: Max Is Banned From Driving

Indistinct banging and clattering were heard in the background of the soft music that played in Lily's ears from her headset as her eyes flickered over

Indistinct banging and clattering were heard in the background of the soft music that played in Lily's ears from her headset as her eyes flickered over. Steve grimaced as he forced the creature into the Byers' fridge, wrapped in a blanket. Disgust marred and took over his facial expression as his head cringed away.

The two teenagers with icy stares helped the older boy stuff the creature before slamming the door shut. Steve ruffled Beverly's hair and Dustin's hat before walking away.

Lily let out a deep, exasperated sigh as she pushed herself off the edge of the kitchen counter and strode quickly into the living room, her footsteps echoing through the space. She paced the room length, her mind racing with thoughts and worries. She slipped her headphones off her ears and pressed pause on the Walkman that hung from her pants, the silence of the room adding to the weight of her thoughts.

Lucas stopped sweeping broken glass off the linoleum as Max crouched on the floor and held the dustpan. Their eyes darted up to the brunette.

"Lily, stop pacing" Lucas impatiently called out to Lily, who was nervously pacing back and forth. Her piercing slate-colored eyes, narrowed in his direction. "She'll be okay, Lily," Mike piped up meekly from next to Lucas, but Lily cut him short, too preoccupied with her anxieties to listen.

"You don't know how bad it was in there okay? You weren't there. That place is swarming with hundreds of those dog things and I should be there protecting her" Lily empathized and wretchedly scolded, her tone critical and unchivalrous as her cold gaze fixed on the Sinclair boy.

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin chimed in as he emerged from the kitchen and strolled in the four's direction, earning Lily's eyes to shift her steely glare to the curly-haired boy. "The chief will take care of her!" Lucas said, his wide eyes fixed on the irritated girl as he made a swift hand motion, rising slightly over Dustin's inane blunder.

Max's voice was barely audible as she mumbled under her breath, "Like if she even needs protection." Lily, who was standing beside her, caught the words and shifted her gaze towards Max. However, Lily's attention was quickly drawn back to the party, who were all staring at her intently.

"Listen, Lily, a coach calls a play in a game, and the bottom line is you execute it. All right?" Steve interjected into the conversation of the teenagers as he strolled into the living room with Beverly by his side. The young Parker girl's eyebrows furrowed, and her face twisted in disgust as she heard the older boy's words escape his lips.

Lily walked over to her brother and retorted curtly and aggravated, "Steve, this is not one of your basketball games. And secondly, using that metaphor in this situation is extremely stupid." Her hostile glare shifted to her brother's soft and flagrant gaze.

Mike interjected, his voice tinged with frustration, "Lily is right, but we are not even in the game. We're on the bench." Steve, who had been completely absorbed in Lily's words, broke eye contact and faced Mike. He knew that Mike's words were true and couldn't help but feel embarrassed.