Lovers

Having finally calmed his breathing, Boruto raised his head to see Kawaki looking at him from above.

It was a look of distant sorrow, and a very present determination.

With the knowledge that it would be over soon, a weight he had been carrying for years now left his soul, and filled it with a new dread.

He got up and dusted off his clothes and hands, glancing one more time around the battlefield, subconsciously stalling the inevitable.

Kawaki, already at his feet and looking perfectly clean, raised an eyebrow in an impatient manner. Boruto nodded in agreement. Now.

He frowned in confusion when Kawaki's eyes left him abruptly and drifted to something behind his back, when he felt Sarada's presence at his side. Her eyes were fixed on Kawaki, and to Boruto's shock, Kawaki's expression ever so slightly softened.

He didn't know how the rest of them felt at that brief moment of crazy hope, but his own heart had nearly stopped.

"Forgive me," Kawaki said quietly, as if he might choke on his own words if he spoke just a bit louder.

Forgive me for turning against you, forgive me, for I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't believe it was the right thing to do.

A painfully long heartbeat passed before Sarada responded with a calm and simple, "I forgive you."

She stepped toward him. "And I ask that you forgive me as well."

Kawaki nodded once, and with that, any look of sorrow was gone from his face. There was no changing his mind.

Boruto clenched his jaw, suppressing a wave of disappointment. He had already known it was going to be this way, known that Kawaki wasn't going to let go just like that, not after everything. It had to be solved, and it had to be solved now.

Whether out of need for reassurance or something else entirely, he looked at Sarada over his shoulder.

For a second it seemed like she would let him go without saying anything. Before he had time to process what she was going to do, Sarada swiftly closed the space between them, rising to her toes, and wrapped her arms around his neck.

Boruto blinked in surprise, but relaxed instantly, putting his hands on her back and drawing her closer.

He allowed himself to close his eyes for a moment, feeling strangely at peace as he focused on the rhythmic thud of her heartbeat.

"Remember who you are and what you're fighting for," she whispered, slightly breathless and shivering as she pulled away just enough to touch his forehead with hers.

Her hand slid to his chest to clutch the front of his shirt, almost as if she was fighting the urge to spread her palm and feel his heart.

"And keep in mind that there are people waiting for you here."

In that moment of not knowing if he'd return alive or not, all Boruto could think about was that he desperately wanted to feel this again, her body's warmth against his, her arms holding him. Her.

He lowered his face, brushing his nose against hers, lips close enough to kiss her if she would only raise her head.

Sarada looked at him with those eyes black as the darkest night, knowing what he wanted, what he felt, and didn't pull away. Her grip on him tightened, but she didn't kiss him.

A voiceless plea for his return.

"I am not above killing you from behind, if that's how you'd prefer it," said Kawaki, his voice rising.

Boruto sighed, releasing her reluctantly.

He turned toward Kawaki. "Where's the fun in that?" he asked lightly, as it were not his life they were talking about.

They were gone in a blink of an eye, and Sarada could do nothing but watch after them. A sense of foreboding had taken a place in her heart and she touched the screw necklace Boruto gave her, praying that they would, indeed, come back alive.

________________________

(@ladyuchiha96 on tumblr )

Disclaimer : Naruto and Boruto : Naruto Next Generations belong to Masashi Kishimoto, Ukyo Kodachi and Mikio Ikemoto.