Hold on to me

(post time skip)

Boruto lay awake in his bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. It was anniversary of Kagura's death, and none of those who witnessed it were with him today.

All of them scattered on missions, it was only him and Sarada in the village, and Sarada had been called to the Hokage's office.

She came to his house at dawn to pull him out of bed and drag him to the Post Office. He was grateful.

This was the first year they couldn't be there for the memorial. All roads between the Five Great Nations have been blocked for safety reasons, so they sent Buntan a telegram.

You know we would have come.

Sarada was restless. She wanted to say more, but didn't know how to transform what she felt into words, and Boruto didn't know what he felt at all.

He only knew that he would have given everything to be there today, for Kagura had been his friend, and his death had left a wound that never quite healed.

They signed it as Shinobi of the Hidden Leaf.

Buntan's response came late in the afternoon, just before the Post Office closed. It said,

We know. He knows it too. Thank you, Sarada.

Sarada's jaw clenched when he brought it to her to read. She pursed her lips and didn't speak a word.

How Buntan knew it was Sarada who sent the telegram was out of Boruto's grasp, but she did know, and Sarada didn't manage to pull herself together for the rest of the evening.

Deaf for everything he said, she kept looking out the window of Thunder Burger, as if her soul could somehow reach the Hidden Mist.

This is unbearable, Boruto thought as he sat up in his bed. Before he knew it, he was on his way to Sarada's.

He found her in the hallway of her apartment in her pajamas, putting on shoes.

"What are you doing?" he asked her bluntly.

"What does it look like?" she retorted, taking them off. "We're going to sleep." Boruto almost smiled.

Embarrassed beyond explanation, she motioned for him to follow her and then put him in her bed, laying behind him so that she was the big spoon.

Most people felt safer when being held, but not Sarada. That night she held on to Boruto like her life depended on it, and in the morning he woke up to her drawing circles on his back with the tip of her finger.

Having felt the change in his breathing, her hand stilled, palm flat between his shoulder-blades.

" 'Morning," he hummed, eyes still closed.

" 'Morning," she murmured back.

Too wrapped in sleep for sensible conversation, he reached behind with his arm, seeking her body.

Sarada gently pushed his arm away, but a moment later the bed creaked as she shifted her weight to move closer to him, snuggling into his back so that he couldn't see her face. Her hand rested on his ribs.

She cleared her throat. "You know this wasn't just about Kagura, right?"

"I know," he murmured, covering her hand with his own.

"Thank you," she whispered. "For being there for me."

They lay in silence for a full minute. She thought he had dozed off again when he said, in a quite clear voice, "I needed you too, you know."

At that Sarada propped herself on her elbow so that she could see him.

"Really?" she asked, utterly serious.

Boruto turned on his back, allowing her a better view.

"Really," he confirmed. The look in his eyes was similar to the one he had when his father was killed.

He sat up slowly, scratching the edge of his jaw, like he always did when he was nervous. "Sarada?"

She blinked at him, moving into a siting position as well. "What is it?"

"In case something happens -"

"No."

"Let me finish. In case something happens - I want you to know that when we're in danger - " he paused, "my first thought is of you. Where you are and if you're safe. Yes," he added, seeing her expression change, "I know you can take care of yourself. You are one of the most powerful people I ever met. I'm just saying. My first thought is of you."

Her throat tightened. "And mine is of you," she said quietly, and it was the utmost truth. "It always has been."

Boruto looked at her in surprise, but something about her expression must have reassured him. He nodded, more to himself than to her.

Heart pounding in her ears, Sarada drew closer, wrapping her fingers around his neck. Feeling his quickened heartbeat under her palm, she kissed his forehead, then his temple and his cheekbone.

"Sarada?" he asked again.

She fought back a smile. "Hm?"

"Can I kiss you?"

She nodded, realizing that her throat has tightened to the point where it was difficult to speak, but this was Boruto, and she had loved him her whole life.

Sarada froze, making herself repeat that last thought.

I have loved him my whole life.

Boruto kissed her then, breaking all of her thoughts into stardust. She gasped softly, leaning into him, excitement coursing through her. It wasn't like she imagined it would be.

It was weird, and warm and wet, and a little clumsy, but it was the most beautiful thing in the world.

______________________________

( @ladyuchiha96 on tumblr )

Disclaimer : Naruto and Boruto : Naruto Next Generations belong to Masashi Kishimoto, Ukyo Kodachi and Mikio Ikemoto.