Sickie

Boruto stood there, biting his lower lip and fighting a severe case of giggles. The paper bags on his arms rustled as he vibrated ever so lightly, trying his best to hold in the laugh that was bound to explode. He did not want to laugh. No. He wanted to celebrate. To pop open a bottle of champagne before for the first time in forever, his girlfriend, Sarada Uchiha, had admitted defeat to sickness and called him for help.

She stood there, holding the door open for him, in her pajamas. Her long, dark hair was unkempt, and her glasses slightly askew. Boruto didn't miss how red her nose looked as well.

"Christmas must have come early," Boruto grinned. "Because for once in my life, my girl actually asked for my help."

Sarada rolled her eyes but did not say anything. All she did was sniff and rub at her stuffy nose as she glared at her cocky-as-ever boyfriend.

"Have you seen Sarada, Rudolf?"

In the nick of time, he ducked a jab. "If you're well enough to be that fast, you might not need me here, ya know?"

Sarada pulled him in, a frown on her face. She was already as sick as a dog and he was still making fun of her. He kept talking, saying how cute her pajamas and sour act was. "Boruto--" she stopped herself upon hearing how stuffy her voice sounded. She bit her lower lip and side-eyed him when all he did was chuckle at how she sounded. He was enjoying this far too much.

With an exasperated sigh, she sat down on the couch and crossed her arms across her chest. "If you're going to be impossible, please just leave. I'll manage."

"No, no!" Boruto set the paper bags down on the center table and held his hands out in front of her. "I'm sorry," that grin was still plastered on his face, "It's just that... I'm so happy you called me. And that you voluntarily took a sick day today, ya know?" He crouched down in front of her and rested his hands on her knees. This time, he had a genuine smile on his face. "This is progress, a nice step into self-care."

She gave him a skeptic look, but then sighed and pulled a blanket over her shoulders. "I know I'll just be useless if I try to work when I'm sick. Plus, I don't want to infect anyone else."

Boruto stood up. "That's the spirit. Besides, it's not like the Hokage's office is going to fall apart while you're away." Upon hearing his thoughts out loud, he stopped and did a double-take. "Actually, no, it might just--"

Sarada's icy glare made him shut his mouth and pick up the bags. "I'll go make you some tea. Why don't you lie down, Sarada? I'll take care of it."

Her fingers came up to massage her temples and she took a deep breath. Even if he was teasing, she was still glad for his company. "Okay, I'll be in my room." She padded down the hall and stopped herself before disappearing from his view. She smiled and thanked him sincerely before leaving. The dust of pink on his cheeks when she did made her feel warm and fuzzy inside, and it wasn't because of her rising fever.

________________________________

(@kairi-chan on tumblr )

Disclaimer : Naruto and Boruto : Naruto Next Generations belong to Masashi Kishimoto, Ukyo Kodachi and Mikio Ikemoto.