Her Way To Say I Love You

The first time Boruto had seen Sasuke poke Sarada's forehead was by chance. Sasuke was back in the village and Boruto could not wait to see him again to continue his training. He still had so much to learn to become the ninja he dreamed of being.

He arrived at the training ground where he and Sasuke met each time his sensei returned. Sarada was here. Sasuke poked her forehead and smiled fondly. Boruto knew that Sasuke was Sarada's father, but it was the first time he had seen him act like a father. He was not expressive like his father, who did not hesitate to hug him in public or to ruffle his hair.

Sarada smiled and she asked Sasuke not to come home late because Sakura was cooking his favorite dishes. She left and Sasuke looked at him. Boruto knew right away that this training session was going to be intense.

******

Boruto had arrived in time for dinner. After his training with Sasuke, he was exhausted, but he could not resist his mother's cooking. The whole family was around the table. Even Naruto had come home early from work. He wondered if Sarada also had dinner with her family.

'What are you thinking about, oni-chan?' Himawari asked.

'Sarada.'

Silence suddenly settled in the room and the whole family looked at him. Boruto blushed realizing what he just said. Once again, he had spoken without thinking. Kawaki smirked.

'I knew there was something between you guys.'

'There is nothing between us,' Boruto hastened to say. 'And I didn't think of her like that. It's just that Sasuke-san returned and I saw him poking Sarada's forehead. That's all.'

Naruto and Hinata exchanged a smile.

'It's Sasuke's way of telling someone he loves them,' Naruto said. 'He does the same with Sakura-chan.'

'I have already seen Sakura do the same with Sarada', Hinata continued. 'They were so cute.'

'This is the Uchiha family's way to say I love you.'

Himawari looked at his brother and said grinning from ear to ear :

'Maybe one day Sarada will poke your forehead.'

Hinata smiled, thinking about this hypothetical future between her son and their best friends' daughter. Kawaki and Naruto tried not to burst out laughing and Boruto blushed uncomfortably. He wanted to hide.

'Stop it Hima! I have already said that there is nothing between us.'

Naruto and Kawaki burst out laughing, unable to stop themselves any longer.

******

Five years later. Boruto had become jonin not long ago and he and Inojin had to accomplish their first mission in a nearby village. Boruto, Inojin and their team were at the gate of Konoha and they were about to leave. Boruto looked towards the village and sighed. He had not seen Sarada and he had not say goodbye to her. He would have liked to see her before leaving. He had realized that his feelings towards Sarada had changed. He saw her differently and he often thought of her. He felt the need to see her and be near her. Gradually, he had fallen in love with her. Come to think of it, he had always been in love with her. It had taken him a long time to realize it.

'Are you okay Boruto ?' Inojin asked. 'You make a bit of a face.'

Boruto looked at his friend and smiled.

'I'm fine. When are we leaving ?'

'In five minutes.'

Boruto nodded and Inojin moved away to talk to the other members of the team. Boruto suddenly heard someone calling his name. He looked towards the village once again and saw Sarada running towards him.

'I was afraid you were already gone,' she said.

'You didn't have to come. We'll be back in a few days.'

Boruto tried to keep a neutral expression and not show how much Sarada's presence made him happy.

'Idiot ! This is your first jonin mission. I wasn't going to miss this.'

She smiled and approached Boruto.

'You come back soon, okay.'

She raised her arm and with her two fingers, she poked Boruto's forehead. He opened his eyes wide, surprised by Sarada's movement and blushed. What his parents had told him years ago came back to him. It was her way to say I love you. A huge smile lit up Boruto's face.

'I promise.'

Inojin walked over and said :

'It's time to go.'

Boruto nodded. He smiled at Sarada one last time and left with his team. He could not stop smiling.

'Looks like something made you happy,' Inojin said.

'You could say that.'

Boruto just wanted to return as quickly as possible from his mission and to see Sarada again.

_________________________________________

(@sofya-fanfics on tumblr)

Disclaimer : Naruto and Boruto : Naruto Next Generations belong to Masashi Kishimoto, Ukyo Kodachi and Mikio Ikemoto.