Lady Hokage's Approval

Inojin mocks Boruto about asking for Sarada's approval of the mission

Boruto frowned. It was a scarecely noticable motion, but Mitsuki has grown to recognize it over the course of the years. Boruto wasn't going to agree with this.

"Well?" Inojin prompted. "Are we through with this or not?"

"It seems all right to me," Shikadai said, scanning the map once again.

Mitsuki wondered how much longer Boruto would keep silent. It wasn't like him not to express his opinion right away, especially because this mission was dangerous.

He knew what Boruto was going to say.

I want the Hokage to take a look before we depart.

Or I want the Hokage to approve this mission first.

Sarada had long ago given Boruto the authority to act as he considered suitable in situations like this, but even so, he still asked for her opinion once in a while.

Inojin often had a lot to say about Boruto not being a shinobi "independent enough" to make his own decisions without Sarada's consent. Kawaki considered it a weakness, Chocho called it respect.

Metal once commented it as a habit from the old days that Boruto simply never managed to break - to have her approval as the team captain.

Denki believed that, above all, Boruto just missed working with Sarada on terrain now that she was the Hokage.

Shikadai shrugged phylosophically and said it was love, Lord Sixth had a very similar opinion, though he had not expressed it as elegantly, and Himawari only grinned wickedly when asked about the subject.

"I want the Hokage to approve this mission first," Boruto said now, earning a snort from Inojin and a barely supressed smile from Shikadai.

He shook his head. "There's something very wrong with this. It seems too easy."

Inojin rolled his eyes. "What are you talking about? The plan is impeccable, isn't it, Shikadai?"

Shikdai shrugged. "Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to have someone else have a look as well. I mean, we've been staring at this for hours, we might have missed something important."

Mitsuki smiled. He loved that Shikadai took Boruto's side in these matters.

Inojin narrowed his eyes at Shikadai.

"What is it with you always asking for Sarada's approval?" he asked, shifting his gaze to Boruto.

Mitsuki often wondered what was it about Boruto and Sarada that bothered Inojin that much.

"I want her opinion," Boruto said, eyes still on the map. "I have a bad feeling about this."

"A bad feeling?" Inojin echoed. Shikadai glared at him.

"If you are disinterested in the Hokage's opinion, Inojin, why don't you draw us something for transport? I think that would be the best. We shall talk the plan through with Sarada and notify you in a timely manner," Mitsuki smiled sweetly.

Inojin opened his mouth to respond when Shikadai said, "Of course we'll go through this with Sarada. It's a very important and dangerous mission, right, Inojin?"

As Sarada had once said, Shikadai's authority as a team captain may be quiet and unobtrusive, but it was unwavering.

"Right," Inojin said after a shorter pause. "Well, I gotta go now anyway. So please, do inform me in a timely manner," he said and stood up, picking his things.

"What is his problem?" Shikadai gasped after the door closed behind Inojin. "He keeps lashing out at everyone this week. It's becoming a real drag."

"I think that girl he hooked up with last weekend dumped him," Boruto said absently, rubbing his chin.

"Already?" Mitsuki asked curiosuly.

There was a moment of silence before Boruto broke out of his reverie. "Yeah, he's just hurt, Shikadai. Let him be," he said, sounding like his usual-self again.

"You don't get hurt because of a hookup. You get hurt because of bigger things," Shikadai muttered.

"You may be onto something there, Shikadai," Mitsuki said thoughtfully. He'd have to think that through later. Could there possibly be someone who broke Inojin's heart?

"That would explain why he's so annoyed with Boruto and Sarada," he said slowly, making both Boruto and Shikadai give him a weird look.

"I'm not sure I'm following," Shikadai said at the same time Boruto asked, "What does Sarada have to do with Inojin?"

Mitsuki blinked at them. "Nothing, really. I was just thinking out loud." He smiled, knowing it would make Boruto let go of the subject.

"Right. Well, I'll go see her now," Boruto said as he got up. "You guys going?"

"Nah, you go. We've got time to go over the plan in the morning," Shikadai said lazily.

"I thought this was an important and dangerous mission," Boruto grinned, but his smile faltered quickly. He really had bad feeling about it and needed to talk to Sarada, and soon.

_________________________________________

(@Ladyuchiha96 on tumblr)

Disclaimer : Naruto and Boruto : Naruto Next Generations belong to Masashi Kishimoto, Ukyo Kodachi and Mikio Ikemoto.