Ghosts

It was a secret they shared.

A secret they had sworn to take to their graves.

Sarada doesn't remember much. Her mind visualizes a blurry apparition of a man who almost looked like her father, he had a few lines etched on to his face and his ebony locks were tied behind his head.

Her most prominent memory of that man was of his kind smile.

She remembers, he always smiled.

She was little and had a mind buzzing with curiosity. Whenever mom was away for her shifts in hospital, he would be there beside her to give her company. He would tell her about what books she should read, he would tell her about history, about world.

Although, he takes a tiny promise from her.

"Never tell about me to anyone. Not even Mama."

"Okay, but what about Boruto? He's my best friend. Don't best friend tell each other everything?" she asks with so much innocence that he melts.

"Okay, you can tell him."

But when she tells Boruto, he doesn't look surprised.

"Do you think I'm a liar?" she asks, her big deep eyes looking at him with something akin to worry. She didn't want him to think of her as a liar.

Boruto laughs and then pokes her nose.

"Silly! You don't lie, never."

Her tiny hand swats his similarly small hand away from her nose and she scowls.

"Why are you laughing?"

He grins, "I have a friend like him too. He looks a lot like mom, I mean he has dark hair and white eyes like mom has and sometimes, he even helps me look after Hima when Mom and Dad are busy!"

Although, by the time they reach the age of six, the appearance of those two mysterious figures has slowly waned away from their lives.

Now when they're almost adults, she doesn't remember him very much. But she always had the sensation of a comforting presence surrounding her in the most difficult times. She is not sure what that implies but she feels safe.

One day, Boruto comes running to her.

"I'm telling you. I'm haunted!"

She gives him a nonplussed look.

"Really! I am having dreams about my younger self, talking to what appears to be uncle Neji's ghost?" He looks confused, and weirded out.

She laughs at him and drags him away to the training grounds, a smile twitching upon her lips when she feels an extremely familiar gaze at their backs, blazing with warmth and tenderness.

___________________________________

(@darkprincess888 on fanfiction.net)

Disclaimer : Naruto and Boruto : Naruto Next Generations belong to Masashi Kishimoto, Ukyo Kodachi and Mikio Ikemoto.