𝐌𝐨𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐲𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐞

─────▕⃝⃤─────

The second-year students had something new to ponder during the Easter holidays. It was time to select subjects for the third year, a matter that at least Astria took very seriously.

"It can affect our entire future," She said to Theo and Draco as they perused the lists of new subjects, marking them with colorful ticks.

Astria watched with a self-conscious smile as some pure-blood classmates received letters from all the wizards and witches in their family, each offering different advice on what to choose. Not that she needed advices. Lady Black was more than willing to assist her.However, she declined the motivational chat and enrolled in all subjects except Muggle Studies.

In recent times, everyone had been somewhat apprehensive, but on the day of the next Quidditch match - Hufflepuff versus Gryffindor ─ Astria hoped the 'Puffs would triumph over the Gryffindors. She wore a green scarf and painted two yellow lines on her face, with a massive Hufflepuff flag beside her as she taunted the Gryffindors.

However, her excitement quickly waned. Someone attacked her in the corridor and stole her backpack. Astria panicked, not so much because of Lago, her cat, who was inside it, but because of the person who dared to steal it. If you know Lago well enough, you'd know he would make a mess of the thief's face.

It was a challenging race through the corridors until Astria found her bag thrown in front of the first-floor girls' bathroom. Everything was scattered on the floor, but apparently, nothing had been taken except for Tom Riddle's diary.

The rest of the day, Astria could be found in a state of silent anger and a constant scowl, and not even the prospect of seeing the badgers defeat the lions could cheer her up. It was only when she left the Great Hall, ready to head down to the pitch with Draco, that she heard something unsettling:

Kill this time... let me tear... tear...

"You're hearing it, aren't you?" Draco asked anxiously.

Astria looked at him, biting her lower lip raw. Then she swallowed hard and shook her head, saying, "It's none of our business," in a tone of voice that she forced to be cold and silent so that only Draco could hear. He hesitated before nodding, albeit very reluctantly.

When the announcement came that the basilisk had claimed another victim, Astria and Draco were seated with their second-year classmates for the last twenty minutes. McGonagall came half-marching, half-running across the field, carrying a huge purple megaphone, and Astria immediately knew that the basilisk had claimed another victim. She just wasn't sure if it had been fatal or not. Not that she cared particularly, although she preferred the school not to be closed.

At least, Beauxbatons, the French academy, didn't seem like a bad option. But then again, she knew that Lady Black enjoyed being a professor at Hogwarts so much. This place was her first real home, where she was happiest.

Damn.

"This match has been canceled!" McGonagall addressed the crowded stadium. "All students must return to their House common rooms, where the Heads of Houses will provide you with more information!"

"Well, let's go," said Astria, getting up nonchalantly with her usual morbid tone.

Pansy narrowed her eyes at her. "You don't seem so surprised," she accused, pointing a finger and looking her up and down evaluatively.

"Damn it, seriously?" Astria sighed, "I've been right here all along." Pansy conceded that point, and nothing more was said.

In the common room, Blaze rushed over to them urgently. "Have you heard the rumors?" he demanded, not giving any of them time to respond. "It was a double attack, and Granger is one of the victims!"