𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐨 𝐏𝐚𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐮𝐦

Today, there will be another chapter, folks
I'm making up for yesterday

─────▕⃝⃤─────

Astria was completely exhausted when they returned to Hogwarts. Studying nearly all the subjects was taking its toll on her, and she swore that if she didn't explode by the end of classes, someone would pay for it.

The Slytherin common room was nearly deserted. Only she, Draco, and a very small handful of Slytherins remained for Christmas, and soon she would be alone as Draco would spend New Year's with his father. In the meantime, the rest of the castle was beautifully decorated for Christmas, though few students had stayed behind to enjoy it. Thick garlands of holly and ivy hung in the hallways, mysterious lights glowed within each suit of armor, and the Great Hall was adorned with the usual twelve Christmas trees, glistening with golden stars. The enticing smell of food permeated the corridors, especially on Christmas Eve.

On Christmas morning, Astria was awakened by Lago jumping on her face and pawing at her eyelids, right where her eyes were moving.

"Alright, alright, I'm awake," she grumbled, sitting up and petting the ball of fur until her eyes met his.

"Where were you last night? I didn't see you at dinner. Neither you nor Narcissa. What are you two up to?"

Lago continued to stare at her and blinked lazily, almost mocking her.

Astria rolled her eyes and looked to the foot of her bed, where a pile of packages had appeared. There were many packages.

Daphne had given her such a beautiful bracelet that it seemed to have been crafted by magic, and she put it on immediately. Pansy sent chocolates, lots of them, and the other Slytherin students enjoyed teasing her, sending cards with drawn stars.

But then, as she was unwrapping the gifts and pushing everything aside, she saw a thin, long package underneath.

Astria tore open the package and held her breath as she saw the magnificent, gleaming Firebolt roll onto her bed.

"It can't be..."

It was a Firebolt, brand new. She had seen the catalog before. The latest and fastest model in the world. The handle shone when she lifted it. She felt the broom vibrate and let it go; it floated in the air, unsupported, at just the right height for Astria to mount it.
Her eyes raced from the gold plate with the registration number to the surface of the handle, from there to the perfectly smooth and aerodynamic birch twigs that formed the tail.

"Who the hell sent me this? It costs a fortune!"

Astria examined the broom with extreme attention, absolutely enchanted. Then she realized there was no card and sighed.

"Could it be from Lady Black? She has enough gold to give me such an expensive gift. No one else would bother giving me something so costly."

At lunchtime, they descended to the Great Hall and found that the house tables had been moved away from the walls, leaving a single table in the middle of the hall for the twelve people present. Professors Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall, Black, Snape, Sprout, and Flitwick were seated at the table, as well as Filch, the caretaker, who had exchanged his brown apron for a very old, musty-looking coat. There were only two more students, a very nervous newcomer from Ravenclaw.

Draco was eagerly devouring pudding when Harry, Ron, and Hermione arrived to join them.

"Merry Christmas!" Dumbledore greeted as the group sat down. "Since we are so few, it seemed silly to use the house tables... Please, sit, sit!" Harry, Ron, and Hermione settled down side by side at the end of the table.