CHAPTER SEVENTY-THREE: A Party and Another Party

Six years later...

Fleur watches from afar little Grace's birthday party. She's not entirely sure why she was even invited to be honest, but apparently they still consider her family after what she did. Either that or they know she's rich and will bring good gifts. They're right. That rugrat better like her gifts.

Balloons, confetti, streamers, and a surplus of bubbles mix well with the neon lights flashing on the games, the sound of offbeat hopping in the bounce houses, and the smell of pizza lingering in the air, yet none is to be found. It's a kid's perfect party and every sober adult's train wreck.

Diego and Lila argue down below over their oldest daughter's jungle themed cake, Diego putting in the candles too early for his wife's liking as she holds a piñata, while amazingly only the first balloon floats to the ceiling.

Through the bubbles, Luther and Ben walk in together, Luther's smile a stark contrast from Ben's scowl.

Fleur exhales a breath of air at the surprise of it. I guess that means the second was released from jail already. What was that? Four years for scamming people out of their money? Crypto exchange. That was it.

Viktor remains to be a no show along with Allison. No surprise there. Canada is a long drive though and owning a bar must be time consuming, but Fleur hadn't seen him since they parted ways six years ago. Every rare contact has been through phone calls. And Allison and her auditions has to be rough to schedule around. That or she just doesn't want to put up with this family anymore. Nobody would blame her. That's the whole reason why Viktor moved so far away.

Ben then strides towards where he is standing by the ball pit in his stupid suit and long hair falling in his face. Fleur instantly rolls her eyes upon seeing him then turns around. They do say that love doesn't last forever. Theirs lasted a little over six months after they said 'I do,' leaving a thriving rivalry in its wake.

Claire suddenly approaches Fleur with a sigh like the angry, bored, tired, teenager she is.

"Hey, girl." Fleur straightens. "How are you? I haven't seen you in ages."

"I'm good. Uncle Klaus told me to come find you. Says that he wants to say hi, but he's too much of a wuss now to climb stairs with gaps in the railing." The girl shakes her curls at her uncle's newfound crippling
anxiety of anything remotely dangerous and germ phobia. Seeing how he has died well over fifty times on accident alone, anyone probably would be.

She scrunches her nose with a grumble of her own. She glances over her shoulder to see Luther and Klaus waving, Klaus with his blue plastic gloves. Five takes a sip from his beer, avoiding eye contact. She turns back towards Claire. "Think they would notice if I just...didn't."

Claire scoffs a laugh then stretches out a hand.

Fleur sighs then takes it, following her down the stairs to the others. Nearly the second the two get to the bottom floor, Claire is swept away by Lila and Diego's twins, the boy and girl tugging on her hands. She huffs then grabs a beer as she continues over towards the ball pit where Diego, Klaus, Ben, and Five are standing.

Luther pops up from the ball pit. "Gotcha!" He points at Fleur's unamused expression. "Or not."

She looks to Ben to start a conversation before things can start getting awkward. "So, Ben, how's freedom? When did you get out?"

He takes a swig of his beer. "About an hour ago. So far it's loud, obnoxious, and has a lot of kids. Strongly considering robbing a bank to get back in."

One corner of Fleur's lips raise.

"How's that book you wrote doing?" Ben inquires, leaning against the railing.