Chapter 31 - Aaron

Taylor took on the crime scene first and I went by the Palos Hills Police Department for a moment to inform them about our presence and brief them on confidentiality. About an hour later, I join her on the crime scene with Police Chief Roberts.

Taylor approaches us as she notices our presence. "5th body. Female. I would say around 20-30 years old. They are taking her to the coroner's" she says

"How many more could be there?" Roberts wonders

"Our technical analyst found over 100 missing person cases in the area during the last year. Once the coroner starts sending the first information, we will start matching them hopefully" I explain.

"I talked to the campers that found the first body. They were here to spend new years eve under the clear sky as they said, and saw the body floating" Taylor informs us

"The rest were weight down?" I assume

"They were in DIY caskets. They will start pulling them out once the bodies are retrieved but by what they told me, they look like they are made out of some kind of wood, were nailed closed and had rocks in with the body in order to stay down" she explains

"How could someone move and drop so many heavy caskets without being noticed?" I wonder

"That's what I am trying to figure out as well. And this is a wooded area, I almost got lost already".

"They know the area. Tell Garcia to give us a list of every local that owns a boat"

"On it" she says and walks away to make the call.

Two black cars with sirens park behind the crime scene tapes and the rest of the team comes. The press is begging for a comment. "How many bodies are there?" "Is the Crown Killer still active?" "Should the locals be worried?" "Is this the work of an organization?" "How are you going to keep them safe?".

Taylor hungs up her phone quickly and moves there to take the attention from us. At the same time, my phone lights up with the list I ask for.

Her voice overlaps every shooting question of the reporters in front of her. "First of all, no one is calling this the Crown Killer's work. There is no need for names, we are not in a game. You will have a name when we have a suspect. We are working close with city officials and the police department to determine what steps we need to take to insure everyone's safety. Locals should not panic, and we ask for their cooperation during this difficult time. More answers will be given to you at tomorrow's official press conference. Until then we encourage anyone who could provide us with useful information about the situation to call the FBI hotline 702-555-0103. Thank you".

I can hardly keep my eyes off her. She comes to us, while looking down at her phone. "Happy new year everybody" she sighs

"Got 6 days off. They missed us already" Morgan says.

"When did you schedule the press conference?" I ask her

"I just did. 11 am. I would appreciate it if you spoke with me, Chief Roberts"

"Of course" he answers

"Shall we go over a few points?" she suggests

"Absolutely".

They walk away, heading back to the car. The team splits to examine the crime scene as I send Garcia's list to Reid to have him take a look. I put my phone away and realize that Dave is still standing with me.

"I know Wilson's family lives in Chicago, but what were you doing here?" he asks, with that suspicious tone

"I was spending New Year's Eve with a friend" I answer and start to walk away.