Silent Longings (Yeji)

The sound of rain intensifying against the window caught Y/N's attention as she gazed outside. It was already night, and the drink in her hand was calling her name. Taking an instant swig, Y/N finished her glass.

Her gaze fell to the table, where a prominent bottle of whiskey and a plate of Hors d'oeuvres awaited her attention. She sat back in her seat and sighed, letting the loneliness of the night sink into her chest. Her heartbeat getting slower with the slumber that was slipping into her demeanor. 

Nonetheless, the abrupt sound of her phone chiming drew her gaze to the screen. The name that lit up caused her heart to flutter. Without a second thought, she reached for her phone and eagerly unlocked the text message.

Hwang Yeji: Good evening, Y/N. I texted to remind you about the meeting next week. Please be ready with all the documents I asked you for.

Overwhelmed by disappointment and heartache, she impulsively flipped her phone shut, choosing not to respond. The annoyance of the situation was drinking her in and she let her head rest on the table, her fingers threading in her hair-- pulling them with chagrin.

Hwang Yeji, the CEO of the company where she currently worked, was the woman who held her heart. From the moment their eyes first met, she felt an attraction. Yet, as fate would have it, working as her secretary only deepened Y/N's feelings.

However, Y/N's love life was something that God destined to be complicated.

Every day whenever she faced Yeji, the hopes in her heart rose to the roof, but with one look in her eyes, Y/N realized that Yeji's heart was with someone else.

It would have been easier to accept if the object of Yeji's affection were unattached, but the one who held Yeji's heart from their shared childhood, Lia, was now married to another, a person she loved and with whom she was blessed to be a mother of two.

Unfortunately to Y/N's fate, Yeji was not able to move on.

The first time Yeji opened up to her about Lia-- they both were doing their overtime for a big upcoming project. While drinking a cup of black coffee, Yeji simply confessed that she didn't know how to love someone else. It was easy for her to think about Lia because, for Yeji, it always had been Lia.

And this was one of the many reasons Y/N fell for Yeji. The kind of love that Yeji had in her heart for Lia was something Y/N had desired for a long time. But, never got to experience it. And now that she was the one with unrequited love, it was awfully painful.

As her emotions surged, her intoxicated mind slipped beyond her control. Deep down, she recognized the wrongness of it all, yet she collected her belongings, settled her tab with the bartender, and exited the bar. She flagged down a taxi and gave the driver the address of the office.

Knowing very well that Yeji basically lived in her office.

Soon, she was standing in front of the office building. The rain was pouring hard now as she was soaking wet, but she couldn't care less. Hurrying into the building, she stepped into the elevator, punching the button for the topmost floor.

The rational thoughts that came into her mind were simply slipping away as she gripped her bag, zealous as she gulped the heaviness in her throat.

A powerful turmoil rushed within her. She wanted to confess, question, confront, whatever she could do to get an answer and free herself from the living hell that she created herself.

The hell of unanswered love.

Before long, the elevator door opened with a ping as Y/N stepped outside, staggering a bit as she walked towards the only entry on the floor.