Chapter Forty Nine

I've written this part in my head so many times over the years, it's crazy to actually be writing it for real now. I don't want to have two thirty page chapters in a row however, so it will be split into two parts.

Atsushi POV

Clutching tightly to the rail outside the door of the Moby Dick, I mad sure that Tanizaki had completed his escape before making my entrance. It was absolutely vital that everything went according to plan, otherwise Yokohama would be doomed.

Moving the heavy door against the wind, I stepped into the cold metal belly of the beast once again.

"Dazai-san, I'm in."

"How does it look inside?" his voice responded through the earpiece as I carefully rounded a corner.

The halls were surprisingly empty for such an intimidating organization.

"Theres no one here." I informed him as I ran through the bowls of the ship, "Something is wrong."

It didn't take long for me to reach the main office of the ship. I could tell which one it was because of the ornate double doors guarding the entrance.

"Where is everyone?" I wondered aloud as I entered.

The floor was transparent in this part of the ship and it was empty save for an older man.

"Almost everyone evacuated." he said, having overheard my question, "Why do you think that might be, kid?"

The room was like a church, high vaulted ceilings and stained glass. The man sat in a chair carved from dark wood, the only furniture in the room.

"Because it's the end of this war." he answered himself.

Wasn't he the one who called down the Moby Dick?

"With the next attack, all of the Guild's enemies will be turned to ash along with the Moby Dick." he continued.

Fear shot through me as I ran to him.

"Explain!" I demanded.

——

Running back through the hallways, I went as fast as I could to the office the old man had directed me too. His words had too genuine a love for his ability behind them as they had left his lips for me not to believe the plan he had revealed.

Suddenly, a familiar figure stepped in front of me and I skidded to a halt.

"You." Akutagawa hissed through clenched teeth, "I found you, were-tiger."

"Akutagawa!"

Rage and urgency clouded my thoughts as I attacked him. He quickly blocked my fist with his Rashoumon, sending an attack back that I quickly dodged.

"Looks like you've improved your acrobatic skills, were-tiger." he stated.

"Why are you here Akutagawa." I asked, getting to my feet, ready to fight.

"I'd like to say I'm here to kill you." he harshly responded.

"Don't you understand the situation we're in right now?" I couldn't believe this man, "We may no longer have a place to live. I don't understand you one bit."

"I don't remember ever asking for your understanding."

"Atsushi-kun, we don't have time to deal with him." I heard Dazai say through the earpiece, "Let's move on."

"But..."

"Don't worry." he cut me off before I could express my concerns, "Just do as I say, and you'll make it."